Rye Wheat Bread

Our poor dear blog has been ignored for too long, but here’s a little recipe to make things right. It’s all about a dried sourdough starter I bought at an organic grocery in Tallin by a German company called Lecker’s. I thought it sounded like a lovely product and wanted to give it a try, and it didn’t let me down! I made two loaves’ worth of dough with some added dry yeast as per the instructions on the sachet, and the resulting bread had a lovely, slightly chewy texture and a very pleasant mildly sour taste.

I used a whole sachet of dry yeast because that’s what the instructions suggested, but I do think that even half the amount would have sufficed with a slightly longer proofing time. Sadly I haven’t seen dried sourdough starter sold in Finland, but I think I’ll ask if our organic store’d be willing to add it to their selection. Sure, homemade sourdough starter is great especially as its flavor develops over time, but sometimes it’s rather satisfying to take the easy way out and have a fresh loaf of sourdough in just a few hours!

Here’s what I used:

• 1 sachet dried sourdough starter (30 grams), Lecker’s
  • 7 and 1/2 dl water, lukewarm (37 Celsius)
  • 6 dl whole rye flour (plus 1 dl for shaping)
  • 6 dl white wheat flour
  • 2-3 teaspoons salt, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 sachet dry yeast (11 grams)

First I mixed the starter with water and let it sit for about 5 minutes to wake it up. Then I briskly whisked in 1 dl of rye and 1 dl of wheat flours, covered the bowl loosely, and let it brew for half an hour. I mixed the rest of the flour, salt, and dry yeast in another bowl and mixed that in the starter liquid. I kneaded the dough for about 5 to 7 minutes, until it wasn’t quite as sticky anymore but still pretty wet. Now I set the oven temperature to 200 degrees Celsius and let the dough rise for one hour, until it had more than doubled.

I poured 1 dl of rye flour on my working surface and scooped the dough out of the bowl. Then I cut the dough in half, shaped each half into a loaf, and placed them on a floured baking sheet. I let the loaves rise for half an hour, then slit them with a sharp knife, and baked for 45 minutes until they sounded hollow when tapped on the underside. I also placed a small ramekin filled with water in the oven during baking. After baking I wrapped the loaves in kitchen towels and placed them in a plastic bag to soften the crust a bit, and after about two hours they were easy to cut into.

Dried sourdough starter and its package.

1. Posted February 2, 2010 at 00:01 | Permalink

Looks great!

2. Posted February 2, 2010 at 13:44 | Permalink

That bread looks really amazing!
    If your shop doesn’t want to carry it, I can send you some envelopes of that stuff.
    You can also easily make your own dried sourdough starter by very thinly spreading starter onto a baking sheet. You just have to let it dry and can grind it in a coffee mill later.

Posted February 2, 2010 at 16:37 | Permalink

Mihl – thanks so much for the kind offer! I’ll try and ask them first, since I think it would be nice if people had the opportunity to buy such a thing here. And thanks for the tips on home-dried starter, I have some of my rye starter brewing right now and will use your method tomorrow when it’s ready!

4. Posted February 4, 2010 at 03:42 | Permalink

love your blog <3
    I nominated you for the honest scrap award:)

5. Posted February 5, 2010 at 22:51 | Permalink

That looks incredible! I love home made sourdough. Great recipe.

6. Posted February 10, 2010 at 08:39 | Permalink

Wow, I just stumbled upon your blog and found that I had found a hidden treasure :) your blog is beautiful, as are all the pictures and foods. I can’t wait to start trying! I linked to your blog, by the way, at http://www.vegansandiego.com/doc.php. ^^Y

Lookin forward to following this heavenly place!

7. Posted February 12, 2010 at 05:18 | Permalink

Your bread looks perfect!

8. Posted March 11, 2010 at 22:45 | Permalink

Fantastic recipe! I’ve been looking for a good dark bread recipe for a while and now I’ve found one, thanks!

9. Kirsi
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 15:52 | Permalink

I have made sourdough myself, although it is much easier to buy the first sour-base, anyway once you have a good sourdough, you just have to freeze some of it and once you want to make new sourdough, just let it melt in a bit of water, add some rye-flower and let it sour untill the next day, and there you have it.

So dont have to buy always a new base.

Posted March 23, 2010 at 16:21 | Permalink

Kirsi – that’s exactly what I normally do as well, I actually wrote a little bit of something about it a while back on this blog. I think of the dried starter more as a fun “fast-food” option I guess… But to bake actual 100% whole rye bread I definitely use my own starter!

11. Posted May 19, 2010 at 19:55 | Permalink