Chipotle Black-Eyed Peas

This was a quick and easy Saturday lunch I cooked in half an hour. I’ve blogged about chipotle black-eyed peas before, but this time the dish was a lot simpler and not a bit less yummy! I don’t know if canned whole chipotles are available in Finland – we’re lucky to get them from a relative who travels often to Mexico – but we did spot them in a small shop in Tallinn called Piprapood. I think whole chipotles are really tasty, but the tomato sauce and chipotles could be substituted with a ready-made chipotle sauce if chipotles are not available. We served the peas with brown rice and steamed broccoli.

Chipotle black-eyed peas

We hadn’t eaten black-eyed peas for a while, so the peas and rice did taste extra delicious. Anni commented how the taste of the black-eyed peas combine the sweetness of chickpeas and the flouryness of regular beans. I think that’s an apt description!

Here’s what I used:

• 2,5 dl dried black-eyed peas
  • a piece of kombu
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • about 2 teaspoons of cumin
  • about 1,5 teaspoons of coriander
  • 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
  • 2 dl tomato sauce, passata style
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

About two hours before I started to cook, I quick soaked the peas: I rinsed them, put them in a bowl filled with boiling water, and covered the bowl. (Obviously, they could’ve been soaked overnight too, but since I forgot to do it, I had to quick soak them.) Then, two hours later, I began with boiling the black-eyed peas. I threw soaking water away, put the peas in a kettle over low heat, added the kombu and plenty of boiling water.

While the peas were simmering, I prepared the sauce. First, I put a frying pan over medium high heat, added the onion, and fried it until quite brownish. I kept stirring the onion a lot so that it wouldn’t burn. Then I added the garlic, cumin, coriander and the chipotle, and fried them about half a minute, stirring continuously. I poured the tomato sauce in the pan, stirred, lowered the heat, and waited until the black-eyed peas were done. I drained the peas, removed the kombu, and added the peas into the frying pan. I mixed the sauce and the beans, added the salt, and checked the taste.

1. Posted December 1, 2009 at 22:33 | Permalink

Superb. I was really in need of a new recipe for black-eyed peas. I pureed and froze the leftovers from the last time I opened a can of chipotle peppers, this will be the perfect excuse to get that out of the freezer.

2. Posted December 3, 2009 at 20:33 | Permalink

That looks great. I always forget to soak the peas and lentils ahead of time as well.

I have all the ingredients sitting around, I think I’ll try making this in the next day or two. Chipotle is such a wonderful flavor ^_^

3. Posted December 4, 2009 at 16:51 | Permalink

i do not eat enough black-eye peas! this sounds like a wonderful recipe!

4. Posted December 6, 2009 at 23:18 | Permalink

That looks really good..we don’t have anything with chipotle in brazil..how is the flavour..so I can think in another thing to make a sub.

love love the blog!

5. Posted December 7, 2009 at 03:45 | Permalink

Yum, that looks awesome!

6. Heikki
    Posted December 8, 2009 at 14:37 | Permalink

Thanks all for the comments!

Carlota, if you have liquid smoke, smoked paprika or smoked salt, you could try those combined with some dried chili powder.

Cook’s Thesaurus recommends ½ teaspoon liquid smoke per 1 jalapeno pepper for a chipotle substitute, but that might be a bit too much liquid smoke in my opinion – it’s easy to go overboard with that stuff!

7. Posted January 17, 2010 at 18:28 | Permalink

I have never cooked Black Eyed Peas, but this just inspired me to give them a try! Just found your blog…love it!

P.S. I just posted an Arbonne Giveaway on my blog (Arbonne is a vegan certified skincare line). Please come check it out and enter!

8. Leslie
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 01:54 | Permalink

I love your comments about Talin, and food. I was lucky enough to travel between Talin and Helsinki a couple years ago (in February! – very unusual for an American family), and totally loved the people on each side of the Baltic! Love your recipes. You keep my table lively. Many thanks.

9. Heikki
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 12:29 | Permalink

Hi Leslie, glad you have nice memories from here. At the moment the passenger ships are having trouble traveling between Helsinki and Tallinn. The shipping channels are packed with ice – it’s the harshest winter in years!

10. flying
    Posted March 22, 2011 at 23:44 | Permalink

I wonder, what is the kombu added in for? Is it for the taste or is it there to cook the beans faster or something like that?

Thanks :)

11. Heikki
    Posted March 23, 2011 at 10:16 | Permalink

Hi flying,

adding kombu makes the beans more digestible and adds flavour, but it is not an essential part of the recipe.