Almond Lime Cake

I really love it when cooking inspiration hits me when I’m reading someone else’s recipes, and often it’s even more inspirational when they’re not vegan – there’s more of a challenge in making the non-vegan things my own. The making of this cake was inspired by a post on the New York Times blog Bitten by Mark Bittman. My recipe came out quite differently from his – first of all, my cake is not pan-fried but quite traditionally baked; secondly, no eggs for me; and thirdly, I decided to use lime instead of the lemon zest. A very nice cake came out of the oven: heavy crumb from the almond flour was brightened by the lime flavor, with tasty browned edges and a little bit of crunch from the topping of sugary slivered almonds.

almond_lime_cake

We enjoyed this cake with a store-bought vegan whipped topping, but I am sure that vanilla ice cream would be just as good. I tend to choose full-fat whipped toppings on the rare occasion when I buy commercial ones – they’re not quite as artificial-tasting as the lighter versions. My favorite right now is GoGreen Vispi, an oat-based product that is available at least in Finland and Sweden.

The Wet:

• 2 dl plain soy yoghurt
  • 1 large lime, juiced and zested (1/2 dl juice, 1 tablespoon zest)
  • 1/2 dl canola oil

The Dry:

• 2 dl almonds, ground into 3 dl almond meal
  • 1 dl white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 dl gram (chick pea flour)
  • 2 dl sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
  • pinch of salt

The Topping:

• 1 dl slivered almonds
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon soy milk
  • pinch of salt

To Serve:

• vegan whipped topping (we had GoGreen Vispi)
  • 1/2 vanilla bean

The batter was as straightforwards as can be – I mixed the wet and the dry separately and then combined, stirring with a fork. I also stirred the topping ingredients gently together (I didn’t want to mash the slivers), then poured the batter in the baking pan and sprinkled with the topping. For an even coating, you might want to double the amount of topping.

Then I baked the cake for 25 minutes in 200 degrees Celsius, until the edges were nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake came out with just a few crumbs. I let the cake cool to room temperature, and served with vanilla whipped cream. For the cream, I just scraped the seeds from half a vanilla bean with the tip of a sharp knife, and added that to the commercial vegan whipping cream as I was whipping it.

empty

1. Posted November 4, 2009 at 22:44 | Permalink

What a tempting sounding cake! I love anything made with lime!

2. Posted November 5, 2009 at 10:27 | Permalink

Oh my! This cake looks scrumptious! And i agree with you, GoGreen Vispi works really well. i think i might give this recipe a go on the weekend. ;)

3. Posted November 6, 2009 at 00:50 | Permalink

????? this looks delicious! I love how fluffy the topping looks!

Posted November 6, 2009 at 10:41 | Permalink

Thanks for the comments! This was really delicious, I’m thinking about baking a variation for my dad on Sunday (it’s fathers’ day in Finland).

5. Posted November 7, 2009 at 04:33 | Permalink

Yummy! I’ve used almonds and lime in combo for savoury, but I’ve never tried it for sweet things.

6. Posted November 7, 2009 at 09:06 | Permalink

Oooh, Almond Lime sounds SO amazing!

7. Posted November 8, 2009 at 00:53 | Permalink

What a divine & lovely looking cake!! I so love all of the ingredients!

MMMMMMMMMMMM,…What else can I say???

8. Posted November 11, 2009 at 13:51 | Permalink

I’d replace the topping with poured over cream, otherwise it looks delicious and thanks for sharing the recipe, I am going to try this out this weekend!

9. Posted November 12, 2009 at 10:17 | Permalink

I love anything with almonds and this cake looks fantastic. I’ll try this out soon!

10. Posted November 13, 2009 at 00:19 | Permalink

What adorable cups.

11. Posted December 2, 2009 at 07:09 | Permalink

oh yum! that looks so so good!

12. Posted December 6, 2009 at 19:07 | Permalink

Yuuummmm!! That sounds seriously delicious. I love getting inspiration from non-veg recipes :)

13. Posted December 11, 2009 at 07:30 | Permalink

The ingredients sound good. Looks like a wholesome filling cake. I will try to bake it soon :-)

14. Posted January 16, 2010 at 17:05 | Permalink

The cake looks very yum. I am in a flurry of confusion while making cakes without eggs. As much I love eggless cakes, they don’t convince me to turn out right. Now I am convinced that this one will work wonders for me! I am inspired! Thanks!

15. katerina
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 17:01 | Permalink

I made this cake today and it`s dealicious!!!!
    Thanks for posting it.I used lime tofu-yogurt, wich is sweet, and 150 gr. sugar. I didn`t have chickpea flour so I used fine corn meal.The result was great!