Chocolate Peanut Blondies

These can well be my new favorite sweet treat – the batter itself bakes into a fudgy center and caramelized edges, and the occasional bite into super-dark chocolate balances out the sugary experience.

blondie

I use white whole wheat flour all the time now that it’s finally available here, and it works very nicely in heavier baked goods like cookies. Maybe because of all the sugar and a touch of vinegar, these blondies don’t taste whole-wheaty at all, quite the opposite – not that whole-wheaty is necessarily a bad thing, just not what I usually aim at when making dessert. Peanut butter is just a slight side note in the taste – I am not a huge fan of sweet peanutty things, but here it adds a little something important. These were good right after baking and excellent straight from the fridge later on.

The Dry:

• 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar

The Egg-Replacer:

• 2 tablespoons gram (chick pea) flour
  • 3 tablespoons soy milk

The Chocolate:

• a handful of chopped dark chocolate, 85%

First I preheated the oven to 175 degrees Celsius, chopped the chocolate, and sprayed a glass baking pan with a bit of olive oil. I used a small, 15 X 20 cm baking pan, and the result was fudgy and kind of sticky in the center. Very delicious, but a larger pan would yield more of the caramelized edges that were probably my favorite part of this dessert.

To make the batter, I first mixed the wet, the dry, and the egg-replacer ingredients in separate bowls. The chickpea flour is a bit lumpy so it’s important to mix well. Now, I combined everything and stirred with a fork just so that there were no dry lumps visible. I folded in the chocolate, poured the batter in the pan, and baked for 25 minutes. For the last 5 minutes I covered the pan to prevent too much browning – it might be wise to check after the first 15 minutes and cover when necessary.

1. Posted October 9, 2009 at 19:54 | Permalink

These blonides are made from a lot of my favourite ingredients: whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and of course chocolate. Sounds very delicious!

2. Posted October 9, 2009 at 20:07 | Permalink

look yummy! though i think i’ll add extra PB to mine! :)

Posted October 9, 2009 at 20:12 | Permalink

Nora – that’s exactly why I mentioned that my batch wasn’t very peanutbuttery, so you PB-lovers would know to add more!

4. Posted October 9, 2009 at 22:33 | Permalink

Yum! That looks and sounds so good. Like Mihl says, I’m glad it has ww flour and coconut oil too :)

5. Posted October 9, 2009 at 23:57 | Permalink

Thank you for the recipe! I am a big blondie fan.

6. Posted October 10, 2009 at 12:49 | Permalink

oh my gosh! these are a great idea! love them!

7. Posted October 12, 2009 at 19:42 | Permalink

Those look and sound delicious! I wonder how they’d be if I used almond or hazelnut butter instead of peanut (I’m not much of a peanut person myself).

8. Posted October 12, 2009 at 21:36 | Permalink

YUM!
    Too bad I don’t have half the ingredients to make them :(

Posted October 13, 2009 at 09:13 | Permalink

Thanks for the comments!

Angela – I bet almond or hazelnut butter would work very well, no doubt about it.

Kay – you could use substitutes for some of the ingredients – another oil/vinegar/sugar, and corn starch instead of gram for example. But I know, it’s kind of annoying to read a recipe with unavailable ingredients!

10. Lynn
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 12:27 | Permalink

This looks divine! I’ve only recently become a vegan and have yet to do any vegan baking. This sure will be the very first vegan thing I’ll bake. Can you let me know what brand of chocolate you used in this recipe or in general?

Posted October 25, 2009 at 22:47 | Permalink

Lynn – thanks! I’m sure you’ll find vegan baking fun and easy, although you might need to familiarize yourself with some new ingredients.

I think I used an organic brand of chocolate called Vivani in these blondies, very recommendable if you can find it. Sometimes I get Lindt chocolate from the nearest supermarket, and for baking it’s quite okay too.

12. Posted November 1, 2009 at 11:04 | Permalink

This receipe is just GREAT. Back to childhood. A real pleasure to cook it, taste it, and relax.

13. Posted November 8, 2009 at 20:23 | Permalink

I love these ingredient choices!

14. Posted January 8, 2010 at 08:48 | Permalink

Hi, I look forward to making these, too.
    Pardon my ignorance, but can you please let me know why one would choose white vs brown whole wheat flour? Is it just appearance or also taste or nutrition, etc?
    Thanks!

Posted January 10, 2010 at 13:43 | Permalink

William – Actually I just learned that I’ve mistakenly thought that the flour I use is white whole wheat, but actually it is whole wheat pastry flour. I use a fine whole wheat flour, and white whole wheat is a completely different thing – made of a white wheat variety, and I guess it is used for a lighter colored end product as you wrote.

I’m so sorry about the confusion, flours are very tricky to translate! White whole wheat isn’t even available in Finland, and I should definitely edit my posts to reflect this new information.

16. Posted January 11, 2010 at 05:47 | Permalink

Hi, Anni.
    Thanks for clarifying…I’ve seen some recipes that contain both white and regular whole wheat flours, and I guess I’ll ask those chefs next time why, as I always assumed regular wholewheat it was healthiest, too!
    William

17. Posted May 12, 2010 at 03:53 | Permalink

Hello again…By the way, what is a “dl”??

18. Posted May 13, 2010 at 10:59 | Permalink

Please nevermind my question. I just saw the sidebar thingy about deciliters. Never heard of them before…