Chard Chips

One of the things we’ve been growing in our garden this year has been Swiss Chard. Usually we put it in a stew like the Tunisian-style dish that Anni blogged about before, but this time we wanted to try something different. Many people have been blogging about kale chips, so we figured why not try making chips from chard too? These chard chips made a great light snack, and were really easy to make.

Chard chips

This is what we used:

• Bunch of fresh chard (enough to cover two baking sheets)
  • 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 teaspoon Japanese seven spice (shichimi togarashi)
  • olive oil for spraying

First we set the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Then we prepared the chard: washed the leaves, removed the stems, and cut the remaining parts into bite-size pieces. Now we crumpled a baking parchment, spread it on the baking sheet, and sprayed some olive oil on it. Then we covered the baking sheet with the chard pieces, taking care that individual pieces didn’t overlap, and sprayed them with some olive oil. We ground the nutritional yeast, salt and seven spice in a mortar, and sprinkled half of the spice mix on the chard bits. We made two sheetfuls of chips, so the rest of the spice mix was for the second batch.

Chard pieces

Now we baked the chard for 7 minutes. They burn really easy, so we started watching them after 5 minutes or so. When they were dry and crunchy, we took them out of the oven. They are best eaten right out of the oven, since they lose their crispness fairly quickly. We devoured two sheetfuls of them in no time – their airy texture and spicy taste is quite addicting!

1. Posted September 30, 2009 at 17:58 | Permalink

Olenkin lukenut paljon näistä chard tai kalechipseistä ja näkyy olevan hyviä.Pitää joskus kokeilla,kiitos hyvästä reseptistä!

2. Posted September 30, 2009 at 20:13 | Permalink

Wow! I did not know this was possible. I am trying this as soon as i can. I love rainbow chard and am always looking for new ways to consume it :)

3. Posted September 30, 2009 at 21:16 | Permalink

NIce! These are a lot like Kale chips which are amazing so I am sure these are too. Im always looking for fun ways to use chard!

4. Posted September 30, 2009 at 21:26 | Permalink

Wow, this is so nice. Thje post comes just in time as I happen to have an abundance of chard.

5. Posted October 1, 2009 at 09:10 | Permalink

I love making chips with other tougher greens, but it never occurred to me to make them with chard before. Great idea, and they look very tasty and lovely!

6. Posted October 3, 2009 at 04:50 | Permalink

those look great! I’ve never had chard or kale chips before, are they actually crunchy and crisp like chips?

7. Heikki
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 11:46 | Permalink

Yeah, they are crunchy and crisp, but they lose their crispiness fairly quickly, so they are best eaten straight out of the oven.

8. maria yorgakopoulou
    Posted October 5, 2009 at 15:37 | Permalink

Hi Heiki, I have not checked your site in a while- you are on my bookmark menu- this is great- I arrived in Greece from US end ofJuly- because my husband is ill, we will be here for a while- I have no baking oven right now, but as soon as I get my firewood, I will make this as soon as I get my olive wood fire wood,I want to take advantage of the veg here- I may even plant a fall garden! Chips seem lovely, though I do not know if they have nutritional yeast- I will ask at health food store- they just got dried blueberries- all very expensive! I wish I could visit Finland- I inquired about summer classes- Take care

9. Heikki
    Posted October 9, 2009 at 10:32 | Permalink

Hi Maria, a fall garden sounds awesome. We’re stuck with a few herbs on our windowsill (on the inside) until the spring comes. Let us know if your trip to Finland becomes a reality!

10. Posted November 1, 2009 at 23:38 | Permalink

I usually make kale chips, so shall be trying some chard chips soon.

11. Posted November 25, 2009 at 10:35 | Permalink

Sounds truly awesome, I’ll try to do this raw food style, very slow cooking on low temperature. Will get back to you with the result! :)

12. Posted November 19, 2013 at 22:59 | Permalink

Mmm…Love the look of your blog! I am so craving something salty and crispy – but I am on a healthier diet, so this chard chip recipe is superb! Thank you for sharing!

3 Trackbacks

1. […] […]

2. […] […]

3. […] this easy recipe for healthy baked chard chips from Tofu for Two with the rainbow chard from Blue House Farm. […]