Blueberry Dressing for a Summer Salad

Forest blueberries are in season and  I know nothing better than having a walk in the forest near our family’s summer cottage and coming home with my fingertips tinted deep purple-blue. Blueberry pies have been abundant this year, and now that we have our fridge in the city packed with blueberries I’ve been thinking of ways to use them in savory lunches as well. The inspiration, and actually most of the recipe below came from the FatFree Vegan Kitchen -blog. I added some extra virgin olive oil and omitted a few other ingredients, but I’ll be sure to try the original recipe as well as soon as we have the required shallots on hand.

blueberry_dressing

Our simple lunch salad consisted of a bunch of home-grown kale, lollo rosso and lettuce, with fried tofu cubes and cashews. I added a pinch of cayenne to the tofu along with the usual dashes of soy sauce and balsamico to get a bit of heat to complement the sweet-tart blueberry dressing. Forest blueberries are not as sweet as cultivated blueberries, so the amount of sugar might need tweaking depending on the type of berry that is used.

The Blueberry Dressing:

• 1 and 1/2 dl fresh blueberries
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon whole cane sugar
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
  • plenty of freshly ground black pepper

I mixed the dressing with our immersion blender and that’s it. This made enough to dress two huge lunch portions, and would probably yield four portions of a more moderate size.

1. Posted August 27, 2009 at 12:36 | Permalink

I miss walking through the forests and pick blueberries! I did that when I lived in Norway and I love the attitute Norwegians have towards nature. It belongs to everyone, they say.
    I have never used blueberries for a dressing. I think I really should try.

2. Posted August 27, 2009 at 15:51 | Permalink

It’s quite surprising to use blueberries in a salad, it must be delicious!

3. Posted August 27, 2009 at 19:26 | Permalink

I miss picking up blueberries in the forest. Yummy sounding salad dressing!

4. Posted August 27, 2009 at 20:43 | Permalink

Mmmm, how wonderful.

5. Posted August 28, 2009 at 04:28 | Permalink

yum, i’ve always wondered how to make blueberry dressing! thanks for the tasty recipe.

Posted August 28, 2009 at 15:00 | Permalink

Thanks dearies! I never used to be a berry vinaigrette lover, but this experiment converted me for sure.

7. Posted September 2, 2009 at 21:45 | Permalink

what a beautiful salad! I’ll be picking up some blueberries on my next shopping trip for sure!

8. Posted September 5, 2009 at 03:43 | Permalink

blueberry dressing…brilliant idea. i’m trying this next!

9. Jussi
    Posted September 17, 2009 at 14:28 | Permalink

Blueberry is native to North America and does not grow in the wild here. What we got is called bilberry. Blueberry grows in a big bush that can get taller than a person. They say the berries aren’t quite as good as bilberries and I think I agree.

I’m not saying it really matters what you call the berries, though. Blueberry, bilberry, your dressing idea rocks and I’m going to give it a try!

Posted September 17, 2009 at 14:54 | Permalink

Jussi – Indeed, I wrote about the bilberry-blueberry problem in another post a while back. I then decided that I prefer to use the word blueberry since the two berries are pretty similar, and most readers will only have access to one or the other. Bilberries are also known as European blueberries, and sometimes referred to simply as blueberries in colloquial language… But yes, I’m cutting corners here, thanks for being alert!

One Trackback

1. By ???? ?????? ????? on March 30, 2010 at 07:17

???? ?????? ?????…

… – ??? ????? ???? ????? ???? ????? ???? ???? ?????? ?? ??????? ?? ???? ???? ????? ???? ?????? ??? ?'. ????????? ?????????, ???? ?????? ?????? ?????? ? ?????? ???? ???? ???? ??… Tofu for Two » Blueberry Dressing for a Summer Salad ……