Cashew Butter Dip with Carrots

Roasted cashew butter is sweet and toasty, a very nice ingredient in both sweet baking and savory cooking. This carrot dip I make has just a few ingredients in addition to the nut butter: soy sauce, brown rice vinegar, and water. Our cashew butter has no salt (actually it only has cashews and nothing else) so the soy sauce adds some of that, and goes so very well with the tangy rice vinegar. This dip has an intense flavor that is best served with carrot sticks, but other crudités like cucumber and cauliflower have been tried and approved.

The recipe makes enough for three huge carrots cut into sticks – it might seem like there’s not enough dip, but there is. Since the flavor is pretty intense, I wouldn’t consider this a party food. I think this is best enjoyed as a snack, or maybe a light meal for the rare warm summer days when we don’t feel like staying in the kitchen for more than five minutes. I’ve also made this dip with natural peanut butter and that’s all good, but the cashew magic makes it super delicious.

The Dip:

• 1 and 1/2 tablespoons natural roasted cashew butter
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon brown rice vinegar

I just stir everything together with a fork until smooth and serve with a pile of carrot sticks.

1. Posted June 26, 2009 at 15:48 | Permalink

Sounds wonderful–so simple and yet so delicious! I am going to try this one. :)

2. Posted June 26, 2009 at 18:04 | Permalink

To me cashews are the perfect food, I love their creamy texture and taste.

3. Posted June 26, 2009 at 18:32 | Permalink

Simple things are best! can’t wait to try it!

4. Posted June 27, 2009 at 08:35 | Permalink

the possibilities for crudites are endless! i love this idea. my favorite dip as of late is a cashew-ginger dip, made with cashews, fresh ginger, soy milk and salt. yum!

5. Posted June 28, 2009 at 04:12 | Permalink

Ooh, this sounds lovely!

6. Posted June 29, 2009 at 18:28 | Permalink

Good to hear from you, Heikki! Your recipes are looking delicious as ever, especially cashew butter with carrots. Great idea.

So the Dr. Cow Nut Cheese, there are different varieties, from mild to sharp. The one I bought was somewhat sharp, but not too much so. I would not say it tastes exactly like cheese, but it is definitely better tasting. The cashew gave it a wonderful flavor, and everyone who tasted it, vegan or omnivore, absolutely loved it.

If you ever do get a chance to try it, you are in for a real treat :)

7. Posted July 7, 2009 at 23:16 | Permalink

Cashew butter sounds amazing. Where can I find it? Please let me know the name of the store (and the company that makes it).

8. Posted July 9, 2009 at 11:31 | Permalink

Yum, a nice healthy snack!

9. Posted July 11, 2009 at 05:08 | Permalink

Oh wow! I would have never even considered making a dip like this, but it sounds so good I wish the store was open. I haven’t been eating a lot of raw veggies lately because I got sick of the same old dipping sauces and I don’t really like eating them with no dip. Thanks for sharing this!

10. Lynn
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 14:22 | Permalink

I made this and it was delish. I find it tasted even better the next day. Thanks so much for the recipe.