Tofu Chocolate Mousse

Tofu chocolate mousse has recently been embraced by a number of mainstream culinary authorities, but for many vegans it’s been basic fare for years – either as a pie filling, cake topping, or simply as a decadent dessert. This is my latest twist on the classic, with a dash of espresso and whole cane sugar to make things interesting. We were impatient and only refrigerated the mousse for one hour, and thus the first spoonful felt almost too intense, almost as if the coffee and caramelly whole sugar undertones were competing with chocolate. But with every spoonful the flavor grew rounder and fuller – and after a night in the fridge the chocolate had taken over, while all the other flavors subtly backed it up.

tofu_mousse

The cherry chocolate I used for decoration was a nice addition, and I’m thinking fresh cherries might work as well – although they’d have to be very ripe and sweet not to be overshadowed by the flavor of the mousse itself. I’d actually added a dash of cinnamon in my coffee before brewing it, and while not really noticeable, it might have added a hint of depth to the flavors.

The Chocolate Mousse (serves 4):

• 350 grams (one package Mori-Nu) firm silken tofu
  • 3 tablespoons very strong and cold coffee (stove-top espresso with a bit of cinnamon)
  • 3 tablespoons whole cane sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
  • 150 grams nice semi-sweet chocolate
  • chocolate shavings for decoration, optional

I mixed the tofu, coffee and sugars with our immersion blender until very very smooth, absolutely no lumps were visible. Meanwhile, Heikki melted the chocolate in a water bath. Then he ladled the chocolate in the tofu bowl and I whisked away until thoroughly combined.

We poured this mixture in 4 ramekins and refrigerated for an hour, and I decorated two portions with cherry chocolate shavings, which added a a bit of textural contrast as well. The two remaining ramekins were saved for the next day and were even better.

1. Posted May 19, 2009 at 21:06 | Permalink

Kuulostaa herkulta, täytyy sitten ensi kuussa kokeilla kun pääsen taas Hakaniemeen tuota silken tofua ostamaan;täällähän sitä ei valitettavasti löydy.Mä en ole tuollaista ihan jälkkärinä koskaan maistanut, vaan olen samantapaista käyttänyt vegaanisessa juustokakussa.Mutta tuota voisi tosiaankin kokeilla!

2. Posted May 20, 2009 at 06:32 | Permalink

yum, i’ve never made chocolate mousse w/ tofu but i must try it!

Posted May 20, 2009 at 08:31 | Permalink

Moi yaelian – kannattaa kokeilla, tosi hyvää ja erittäin helppotekoista! Sääli ettei siellä myydä silken-tofua, se vakuumipakattu säilyykin niin pitkään – ehkä joku ottaisi valikoimaan jos kyselisit?

veggievixen – you must, it’s so simple and delicious!

4. Nanöuk
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 12:36 | Permalink

iT looks delicious!

5. Posted May 22, 2009 at 00:30 | Permalink

yum! I always prefer when the mousse gets to spend the night in the fridge, I think it gives the flavors more of a chance to develop, and the texture improves too.

6. Posted May 22, 2009 at 01:48 | Permalink

This chocolate mousse sounds totally decadent and delicious.

7. Posted May 22, 2009 at 09:39 | Permalink

Ooh, how nice!

8. Posted May 22, 2009 at 23:07 | Permalink

wowwww.sooo healthily sinful:P

9. Posted May 24, 2009 at 21:28 | Permalink

This looks divine! Great job

10. Posted May 25, 2009 at 15:28 | Permalink

Nice. Mark Bittman recently featured a similar recipe in the New York Times. I’ve been writing a bit about using tofu for sweet stuff and linked to this. I love the addition of coffee to the mix. Now, where’s my blender?

11. Posted May 25, 2009 at 16:35 | Permalink

wow that is so gorgeous!!

12. Posted May 26, 2009 at 17:17 | Permalink

Looks so good – this is always a treat that I would snap up at Whole Foods way back before my move to Belgium. But you are so right – it is uber easy to make and tastes way better home made. Nummmmmy.

13. Posted May 28, 2009 at 15:35 | Permalink

so delicious! this is almost exactly the same as the recipe i use

14. Posted June 6, 2009 at 13:56 | Permalink

This looks like the perfect dessert to make if you want something sweet with a little effort.

15. Posted June 29, 2009 at 09:32 | Permalink

I just tried this and it was delicious! One third of the chocolate I used was orange chocolate, and I think the subtle orange flavour actually went really nicely with the hints of coffee and cinnamon. Yum!

16. Posted December 26, 2009 at 15:08 | Permalink

I just saw you blog now, and I have to say the color is terrific especially the main picture! This reminds me of my country kitchen when I was a kid, nostalgic! Thanks for this.

17. Posted February 16, 2010 at 20:28 | Permalink

I used this for my desert at my bridal shower that I hosted for my sister in law. It was just perfect! Most people could barely tell that it was vegan– they didn’t even know. Now that is my kind of dish– kudos!
    -Sylvia

Posted February 17, 2010 at 15:25 | Permalink

Sylvia – thanks for your comment, I’m very happy to hear that this recipe worked so well for you!

One Trackback