Cocoa Granola with Soy Flakes

There’s been a bag of soy flakes in our cupboard for a while now waiting for us to find a good use for them. The package says they can be consumed as is, but they are really pretty bland in flavor. As it happens I’ve been meaning to make granola so this seemed like a good place to experiment. I was definitely pleased with the results: this is so much better than any granola I’ve ever tasted – and it’s actually hard to even tell there are soy flakes involved, probably because they have such a delicate and airy texture.

granola

This is nice and crunchy and not too sweet, with a hint of cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and cashew nut butter for extra flavor. We usually don’t eat sweet things for breakfast and rarely ever buy granola, but I am now very much hooked to this homemade version – it’s so delicious as a snack with plain soy yoghurt or vegan milk. And obviously there’s plenty of room for creativity when it comes to granola, with all the nuts and seeds and dried fruits and extracts just waiting to be added for good measure.

Here’s what I used:

• 6 dl rolled oats
  • 2 dl soy flakes (by Soyappétit), slightly crushed
  • 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 dl muscovado (whole cane) sugar
  • 5 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon cashew nut butter
  • 1 tablespoon soy milk

First I heated the oil, sugar, nut butter, and soy milk on medium heat until the sugar had melted. I removed the pot from heat and combined the dry ingredients – oats through ginger – in a bowl. Then I poured the sugar mixture and vanilla extract in the dry stuff, stirred with a fork until thoroughly combined (this takes some time), and spread the granola on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.

I baked my granola in 150 degrees Celsius, first 12 minutes, then tossed it, and baked for another 12 minutes, removed from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet. This all depends on the oven I guess, so the granola might need another 5 to 10 minutes of baking time – it should get golden brown (the bits that aren’t cocoa brown) and crunchy.

soy_flakes

This is how our soy flakes look like: they’re very light and airy.

1. Posted April 7, 2009 at 16:09 | Permalink

This morning I stood in front of a bag of soy flakes and was indeed contemplating to get them. I should have listened to the part of my brain which can see the future. This granola looks divine!

2. Posted April 7, 2009 at 16:16 | Permalink

This sounds perfect! Yet another (healthier) way to love chocolate!

Posted April 7, 2009 at 16:32 | Permalink

Mihl – what a coincidence! I’m trying to figure out a way to use the flakes in savory cooking as well but haven’t come up with anything yet.

Ricki – yay for chocolate!

4. Posted April 7, 2009 at 18:35 | Permalink

wow, amazing! i’ve never had cocoa granola but i’m sure it would be awesome. and the cereal milk turning chocolatey…yum!

5. Posted April 7, 2009 at 20:54 | Permalink

This sounds really delicious. I love chocolate…I love granola, it’s a match made in heaven =)

6. Posted April 8, 2009 at 04:16 | Permalink

Hi, Anni! I came to check out your blog after seeing your comment on mine – this granola looks amazing! Hopefully someday I can make it over to Finland and bring you some treats when I’m there!

7. Posted April 8, 2009 at 05:16 | Permalink

Very cool recipe. While I definitely enjoy a savory breakfast, from time to time I just neeeeed something sweet. I like making my own granola rather than buying it as well.

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

As always, your foot photography skills are fantastic!

Posted April 8, 2009 at 09:59 | Permalink

Kim – I really do hope you can come some day, and the dinner’s on us!

Asha – isn’t homemade granola the best? We usually have four-grain porridge, oatmeal or open-faced sandwiches for breakfast, with tea and plenty of water to drink. I also add soy milk and some kind of berries in my porridge, no sweeteners. To be honest I’m not that much of a breakfast person usually, so I like it bland – not too salty, not too sweet!

9. Posted April 8, 2009 at 14:37 | Permalink

Wow, that looks really good! I don’t think I’ve ever seen soy flakes though :( Although the recipe for granola in My Sweet Vegan uses TVP, maybe that could sub instead?

Posted April 8, 2009 at 17:01 | Permalink

Gina – I don’t have that book so can’t check the recipe, but I’m sure Hannah knows her granola. Not sure about how the TVP would affect the taste in this recipe though, I think the flakes don’t have as much of that soy aftertaste that TVP sometimes does – and its texture is more dense as well. Let me know how it turns out if you try, I’m intrigued!

11. Ceci
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 00:46 | Permalink

I already made this at home! Fantastic!!! Thanks for the super idea! I love everything about this blog.

12. Posted April 9, 2009 at 18:17 | Permalink

Oh this looks so good! I can’t wait to try it myself!

13. Posted April 14, 2009 at 12:36 | Permalink

this looks great! i’d feel like a big kid eating it!

14. Mary
    Posted October 28, 2009 at 03:23 | Permalink

Hi,

Your Cocoa granola with soy flakes looks wonderful!
    Please respond as I have a question for you.

Thank you!
    Mary

15. Posted November 23, 2013 at 12:50 | Permalink

It’s an improved sign to mail out than many of the celebrity journals that demonstrate now trim celebs dropping nevertheless additional weight loss http://xiaosan1926.mywapblog.com/four-other-crucial-keys-into-a-healthy-w.xhtml by feeding on juiced carrots and only egg whites blah blah.