Rye Lingonberry Whip

I love this dessert – it is a breeze to make, and its flavor has the perfect combination of tart and sweet with a little bit of nutty rye and some vanilla thrown in. Probably even better than the other trad Finnish dessert, whipped semolina-lingonberry porridge, and definitely quicker to make. We get lingonberries from a dear friend whose mother-in-law is a great berry picker. I can’t stop wondering how brilliant lingonberries are: they keep extremely well in the fridge just lightly crushed in their own juice, no need to add sugar or any other preservatives!

rye_lingonberry

If fresh lingonberries are hard to find, there are a number of other berries that would work as well  – cranberries or red currants probably being closest taste-wise. Another option would be to use lingonberry jam instead of the fresh berries and the sugar.

Here’s what I used (serves 2):

• 2 dl boiling hot water
  • 1/2 dl rye flour (or a bit more if you prefer it thicker)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 and 1/2 dl crushed lingonberries
  • 1/2 dl whole cane sugar (or to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla sugar

I poured the boiled water in a large mixing bowl, and plugged my electric whisk. Then I started whisking the water and sprinkled the rye flour in the bowl. I continued whisking for about 10 minutes, until the rye porridge had turned quite light in color and fluffy in consistency. Then I added the rest of the ingredients and whisked for a few more minutes until thoroughly combined.

This is best served with cold vegan milk or vanilla custard.

1. Posted March 5, 2009 at 18:20 | Permalink

In our house, we love lingonberry jam because my Mom lived in Sweden early in her life. I’ll be sure to make this for her when I go back home! One question though: I’ve never heard of this flour technique (whisking into water to make a porridge) nor have I ever used rye flour. Can other flours be substituted?

2. Posted March 5, 2009 at 18:58 | Permalink

There’s an almost similar recipe in Härkäpapua sarvista (a Finnish vegan cookbook). I love the recipe. Very quick and easy!

3. Anna
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 19:17 | Permalink

Just tried this. Me and the bf liked it very much with lots of soy yoghurt and I’m going to make it again when the bf’s family comes to visit. They’re Scandinavians at heart and love desserts which are not too sweet.
    Heikki’s potato chickpea soup turned out great as well, I just used 2 tablespoons of tahini for a really creamy consistence and extra sesame taste.

Posted March 5, 2009 at 19:45 | Permalink

Chris – rye flour is so flavorful and not very glutinous, so I’m not sure if other flours could be used. I would maybe go for whole spelt if rye is out of the question, but no guarantees on the results!

Elina – oh yes, I remember seeing the recipe in that book! It’s all around the internet as well, with minor variations.

Anna – I’m so very happy you tried and liked this, and the soup! Right, our soup didn’t really have much sesame taste at all, only the creaminess from tahini.

5. Posted March 5, 2009 at 20:42 | Permalink

I have never heard of those berries before but they sound lovely!

6. Posted March 6, 2009 at 00:36 | Permalink

mmm, i love lingonberry jam! the only place i’ve ever seen it in the states is at IKEA. ;)

7. Posted March 6, 2009 at 06:37 | Permalink

I’ve never had lingonberry. I’m intrigued now.

8. Posted March 6, 2009 at 15:52 | Permalink

That sounds and looks amazing! I am saving this recipe for summer and will make it with fresh red currants. Lingonberries are available here but only in jams.

9. Posted March 10, 2009 at 06:41 | Permalink

you guys have the greatest recipes ever!!! They’re so unique and good looking I’d never expect to find it in a cookbook! Now if only you could post pictures of you enjoying it!!! :) Or a review on the flavors? No matter what, they’re clearly awesome!

10. Posted March 11, 2009 at 05:32 | Permalink

This looks so refreshing, and I love the color. I’ll have to try it for sure!

11. Posted February 20, 2011 at 01:08 | Permalink

How beautiful! I’ve only ever used rye flour for breads (http://noshesthoughtsreves.blogspot.com/2006/12/pain-de-biere-damandes-et-de-gingembre.html) but I love the idea of making it into a porridge. Is processed differently, do you know?

Posted February 24, 2011 at 11:11 | Permalink

Hi, sorry for my late response! I’m not quite sure what it is you are asking, maybe if there are different kinds of rye flour for whipped “porridge” and for bread? I would use a fine rye flour in this dish, since it’s not actually cooked. In breads you can use different grades depending on how you want it to turn out. Hope this helps!

13. Posted September 8, 2011 at 17:02 | Permalink

I make this for breakfast at least 3-5 times a week!