Potato Chickpea Soup

This was a quick dinner that we weren’t planning to blog about, but it turned out so great we wanted to share the recipe. I had some vegetable stock I had made a few days before in our pressure cooker, which definitely added to the yumminess, but I’m sure this will work well with store-bought stock or bouillon cubes too.

Potato Chickpea soup

The secret of this soup is how we used tahini as a thickener, which produced an almost coconut-milk-like creaminess. It really worked well in this recipe, and we’ll be sure to try tahini in other soups in the future.

This is what we used:

• 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons cumin (jeera)
  • 2 teaspoons coriander
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • about 6 dl of vegetable stock
  • 5 medium potatoes, diced
  • 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 teaspoons tahini
  • 1 – 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • salt to taste
  • sugar to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • chopped fresh parsley to garnish

I began by prepping the potatoes, onion and garlic. Since we were hungry, I diced the potatoes into smallish cubes to reduce cooking time.

I heated the oil in a thick-bottomed pot and added the cumin, coriander, turmeric and paprika. I stirred with a spatula, until the fragrances were released. Then I added the onion and garlic, and sweated them for a few minutes. Next I put the potato cubes in the pot, and poured in the stock, just enough to cover the potatoes. I brought the soup to boil, covered the pot, and cooked until the potatoes were soft.

When the potatoes were done I added the chickpeas in the soup. Then I took about 1 dl of the liquid from the soup in a cup, mixed in the tahini with a spoon until no lumps remained, and poured it back into the soup. Then we added the salt, sugar, pepper and lime juice, and checked the taste until it was to our liking. Before serving, we sprinkled our soup with some chopped parsley.

1. Posted March 3, 2009 at 22:56 | Permalink

That soup sounds delicious and so simple…I think I’ve found our dinner for tonight!

2. Posted March 3, 2009 at 23:21 | Permalink

That looks delicious. It uses similar ingredients to my Shorabat Addas, which uses lentils instead of chickpeas, and is seasoned with onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, paprika and lemon juice. If you liked this soup, give the Addas a go. It’s delicious and wonderfully easy to make!

3. Anna
    Posted March 4, 2009 at 10:47 | Permalink

This sounds really yummy! We only had chickpea soup yesterday, but I’ll definitely convince the bf to try yours tomorrow.

4. Posted March 4, 2009 at 17:26 | Permalink

Ooh this looks tasty! I’m always looking for new soup recipes, especially in winter!
    And I really like the idea of tahini in soup. I think I might try it with sweet potatoes, though. I always like the curry flavors with sweet potatoes.

5. Posted March 4, 2009 at 20:46 | Permalink

i love putting chickpeas in soup. actually, they’re just awesome in general.

6. Posted March 4, 2009 at 23:28 | Permalink

My cafeteria, surprisingly, makes an awesome chickpea and potato soup (admittedly with other random leftover vegetables thrown in). Next time I’m at home and inexplicably missing dining hall food, I’ll definitely pull out this recipe (it even looks the same!).

7. Posted March 5, 2009 at 06:03 | Permalink

This looks fantastic! Thanks for the recipe!

8. Posted March 5, 2009 at 08:15 | Permalink

I am in love with nearly every ingredient in this recipe, so needless to say, I will be making this soup soon!

9. Heikki
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 10:13 | Permalink

Monica, bookmarked your recipe!

Isobel, good idea trying a similar soup with sweet potatoes, we gotta try that too.

If anyone makes a tahini-thickened soup, let us know how it turned out!

10. Posted March 5, 2009 at 13:17 | Permalink

Ooh, yum!

11. Lindsay
    Posted March 5, 2009 at 19:03 | Permalink

Hi there! I just discovered your website and I love it! Your recipes are so inspiring and delicious-looking, I can’t wait to try some out; thanks for sharing!

12. insomnius
    Posted March 8, 2009 at 07:31 | Permalink

I just made this recipe for dinner last night, and my word was it delicious! The tahini as thickener worked wonderfully and added yet another intriguing flavour to the mix.

My partner has asked when I’m making this again a few times already. Thank you :)

13. Posted March 10, 2009 at 02:22 | Permalink

This looks wonderful and warming! YUM YUM!

14. Posted March 11, 2009 at 14:31 | Permalink

this will be perfect for when the weather cools down in melbourne!

15. carol
    Posted April 5, 2009 at 19:15 | Permalink

this was great! thanks so much for the recipe. my partner is feeling a bit ill (probably allergies this time of year) and I wanted to make a nourishing soup – this was definitely it. I added several carrots with the potatoes (using 2 large potatoes), and after the soup had come together, took my potato masher and mashed the solids just a bit. I’ll make this again, to be sure!

16. Blake
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 00:53 | Permalink

do you think this recipe could be done in a slow cooker/crock pot?

17. Heikki
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 13:43 | Permalink

Blake, since I used canned chick peas, I’m not sure what the advantages would be. Well, I’ve never used a slow cooker so what do I know.

However, I’m sure an adaptation could be made. I think the essential things are (1) don’t bring the soup to a boil after you have added the tahini and (2) the spices need to be fried in oil so that their fragrances get released.

If you decide to try it, please leave a comment telling how your experimentation turned out!

18. Crystal
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 05:21 | Permalink

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. My 11 year old daughter and I made this soup tonight, and we absolutley loved it. We are putting this recipe in our book of recipes, and will be making it again in the future. I did leave out the tahini, only because I was unable to find it at my local grocery store. Wonderful! Thank you!