Tofu Cashew Croquettes

Cashews and tofu got mashed with lemon grass, fresh mint and a hint of chili, then fried until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside – no wonder these were gone in mere seconds!

tofu_cashew_croquets

This batch serves 2 people as a snack or a starter – I have a feeling that next time we make these I will be doubling the recipe. The mint flavor came out quite delicate despite the seemingly large amount of mint leaves in the recipe, possibly because our mint was a little bit on the dry side.

The Ingredients:

• 200 g firm tofu, not pressed
  • 1 dl cashew nuts
  • 1 dl mint leaves, lightly packed
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • a 5 cm piece of a lemon grass stalk
  • 1 red Thai chili, de-seeded
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons water, as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

I placed half of the tofu, cashew nuts, mint leaves, garlic, lemon grass, the chili, and a splash of water in our mini food processor, and started blending into a coarse paste. The paste didn’t end up completely smooth, just so that there were no larger pieces of lemon grass or chili – I think this could easily be achieved with an immersion blender as well.

Now I crumbled the rest of the tofu, and added that to the spicy paste. I seasoned the dough with salt, and it was ready to be fried.

I heated a tin layer of canola oil in a frying pan, formed the dough into 10 balls, and flattened them lightly. I actually battered two of the croquettes with a gram flour and water mixture (the one that is on the right side of the picture being one of those), but I think the un-battered ones were slightly nicer.

I fried the croquets on high to medium high heat until browned on both sides, and then drained them on kitchen towel. I served these right away with an easy dipping sauce made with lime juice, soy sauce, and a pinch of sugar.

1. Posted February 25, 2009 at 23:20 | Permalink

I really like how you added cashews, I bet that made it so much better than plain tofu!

2. Posted February 25, 2009 at 23:27 | Permalink

Mmm these look so yummy! The mint and lemongrass combo sounds delicious!

3. Posted February 26, 2009 at 00:46 | Permalink

You might just be my savior! I’ve been looking for a recipe for tofu with great spongy inner texture and crispy outside and this is going to fit the ticket nicely. And I like how one can play around with the flavors in this a lot :) Great recipe – I’ll definitely be trying this one out soon.

4. Posted February 26, 2009 at 05:27 | Permalink

wow, this is so creative! probably an awesome combination too. love it.

5. Posted February 26, 2009 at 06:31 | Permalink

I’ll definitely try these! Is there any substitutes to fresh lemon grass if I can’t find any?

6. Posted February 26, 2009 at 07:58 | Permalink

Those sound really good. I’m going to have to try them.

Posted February 26, 2009 at 09:23 | Permalink

Thanks for the sweet comments dear people!

Chris – I don’t really think the inner texture was that spongy, just soft, so I’m afraid you might have to look for another savior! But the spicing is definitely up for tweaking, I think I’ll add some more chili (or the seeds) the next time.

Elina – you could always use dried lemongrass, but I think that’s also only available in Asian groceries. I think there’s a lemongrass paste in some large supermarkets, a brand called Spice Up or something like that? I haven’t tried it but I’m sure it would do the job just fine, the taste isn’t that pronounced in this recipe anyway!

8. Posted February 26, 2009 at 12:22 | Permalink

Wow, I’d totally trade these for a box of panang curry paste!

9. Aurinkotuuli
    Posted February 28, 2009 at 20:09 | Permalink

I just love croquettes! I definitely put this recipe on my to-do-list.

10. Posted March 1, 2009 at 15:00 | Permalink

these look really good – the flavours remind me of thai fish cakes, only these of course are much better!

11. Posted March 2, 2009 at 10:38 | Permalink

Ooh, they sound lovely!

12. maria yorgakopoulou
    Posted March 3, 2009 at 05:15 | Permalink

I am so happy to have discovered you-I first found you looking for a vegan crust-
    We would love to visit Finland- We are greek from Sparta, but spent time in Rhodes where many Finnish women have married- I live in US-our priest has roots in Kos- island of Hippokrates-he had a student visiting from Rhodes- her mom was Finnish- they had a Finnish Sat school, and she is now doing doctoral work in Finland- beautiful young lady- strongly favoring the Finnish side-
    I will try your croquettes- we are just begining Great Lent in Orthodox church- today i was lucky to have a Korean vegan dish- i am in graduate school University Mass Amherst & live in graduate housing- we have an International Program on Mondays & we cook- we have a large Chinese contigent-we have meet, but with my prompting, we always have a vegan dish- i started reg attending program one year ago, after ret from greece, & organizd the cooking- now the program organizes itself- we always have volunteers who will cook a dish collectively- it is such spirit- & we have made many vegan converts!
    Do you know if the Finnish Orthodox kee the Lenten – vegan fast?-
    A good lent to all- I was reading how these fasts are very old- cleansing before spring-Maria

Posted March 3, 2009 at 09:11 | Permalink

Hi Maria, welcome to our blog, I’m glad you found us! Sorry to say that I don’t know much about Finnish Orthodox practices. I could guess that usually the lent is not strictly vegan here – more flexible, and also fish is eaten.

14. maria yorgakopoulou
    Posted March 22, 2009 at 03:06 | Permalink

Hi Anni
    Here I am in the third week of Lent- considered the hardest- there is a break on the 25th March- Annunciation- where we can eat fish-hard to keep because the Greek American ladies in the churches here host a fundraiser ( usually Sund before and do dairy & egg)- I mught just go to a vegan potluck in evening in Cambridge Mass, near Harvard University- it is orig a Syrian parish, now Pan Orthodox- with Eritreans and convert Chinese-they celebrate Chinese New Year, also a special day for the Chinese martyrs who were Orthodox, because of the Russians-like Finnish Orthodox-but were killed during the Boxer Rebellion- the converts bring things like bagel & the Arabs great breads-
    I tried the croqettes tonight- I substituted almond & a few walnuts-added a lot of crushed garlic, organic watercress
    for the mint- had only dried-
    my first batch fell apart- I am not a good croquette maker- I drained it, added organic tom past & lemon- was great-the remaining, I flowered, and baked on high heat- 550 f- I have no Thai ingredients do to Greek husband-I put a bit of sea salt on top- made a side of pekmez with a splash of lemon- this is a grape must sauce- common in our parts- women make it fall during the wine making season- mine come in a jar from Poland-It held together pretty well- when I fried first batch I think I put ,too much oil-Husband ate the whole thing!- kept asking what it was- told him after first successful bite- He rated it a 6- fair, since it did not come out like yours-
    Your chickpea soup looks good- we make similarthini soups during Lent- will try cabbage pie for Sunday dinner-
    Have been reading more on Finnish Orthodox church- I think there are English services, too in Helsinki-e monastaries seem so lovely- I have heard their chanting- there was a Finnish abbess on Church of Greece radio, who is fluent in Greek-Wishing to come-Thanks for this wonderful blog- it is on my bookmark bar!-
    I shall try this recipe with proper ingredients!

Posted March 23, 2009 at 09:05 | Permalink

Maria – It’s so nice to hear how our recipes have turned out for you! I didn’t have any problems with these croquettes falling apart, somehow the mashed tofu and ground cashews just stuck together very well. But luckily it sounds like yours tasted good anyway!

One Trackback

1. […] här bullarna är inspirerade av Tofu for Twos recept på tofukroketter. Dom är veganvänliga och väldigt goda, i  originalet serveras de som ett snacks eller tilltugg, […]