Three-Pepper Tofu

We eat lots of tofu, but most of the times it’s just too everyday to blog about. This marinade was one of the best we’ve ever tried, and it worked well on three days in a row – by the first meal, the tofu had marinated for only two hours, but the flavor was already very nice. The second meal was a lunch on the next day, and by then the marinade had permeated the tofu slices thoroughly. But after two days in the marinade, we baked the last two slices in the oven, and they turned out just exquisite!

marinated_tofu

Breading with soy yoghurt was very easy and quite fool proof, and resulted in a lovely crispy topping with a hint of yoghurty sourness. The baked version was definitely lighter, and baking also resulted in a more developed, round flavor.

The Marinade:

• 1 dl red wine
  • 1/2 dl soy sauce
  • 5 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 2 teaspoons agave syrup
  • 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, ground
  • 1 teaspoon green peppercorns, ground
  • 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground

I first pressed my 500 gram block of tofu for one hour – sliced it 1 cm thick, wrapped in cheesecloth, arranged as a uniformly thick layer, and placed a cutting board and a pile of plates on top. Then I just mixed all the marinade ingredients and placed in an airtight container along with the tofu. I flipped the tofu slices and shook the container every once in a while to ensure even absorption of the marinade.

As we found out, the marinating time can be anything between 2 hours and two days.

The Breading for Fried Tofu:

• 1 dl dry bread crumbs
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 3/4 dl plain soy yoghurt
  • a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar

I mixed the bread crumbs and the salt and pepper on one plate and the soy yoghurt and the salt and sugar on another. Then I patted the marinated tofu slices dry with some kitchen towels and dipped them first in the yoghurt dish, then rolled them carefully in the bread crumbs.

Then Heikki shallow fried the tofu slices in canola oil until nicely browned on both sides.

We enjoyed our breaded tofu with lemon wedges and a side of stir-fried morning glory – so good!

1. Posted January 25, 2009 at 16:00 | Permalink

Wow, this looks really delicious and I love that you used soy yogurt!

Do you think I could replace the red wine with vegetable broth?

2. Posted January 25, 2009 at 16:05 | Permalink

I love baked tofu and a marinade with three types of pepper sounds delicious!

3. Posted January 25, 2009 at 16:12 | Permalink

This sounds really great, I do think I am going to try it soon.

Posted January 25, 2009 at 20:59 | Permalink

Hi Shelby – the wine adds a certain fruity flavor, as well as a bit of acidity. Maybe a combination of apple juice and balsamic vinegar and veggie broth? Also, you should probably use less soy sauce if the broth is salty. Do let me know if you try this without the wine!

5. Posted January 25, 2009 at 23:55 | Permalink

This recipe is just what I needed! how did you know? I made a perfect batch of baked tofu once but haven’t managed to repeat it again. I actually haven’t bought any tofu in months! I remember that the marinade I used that time had red wine, and I’m pretty sure it was similar to this one. I’m going to be trying this for sure!

6. Posted January 26, 2009 at 04:04 | Permalink

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

7. Posted January 26, 2009 at 06:34 | Permalink

I have a feeling that this recipe will finally convince my Dad that tofu can replace meat as the main dish of the meal. I’m hoping that the yogurt imparts a lot of sour flavor as opposed to the normal savoriness that eggs dredging affords. Thanks for this!

8. Posted January 26, 2009 at 09:55 | Permalink

this looks so good!

9. Posted January 26, 2009 at 17:32 | Permalink

Looks so delicious, I love tofu and this sounds like something I will definately want to try.Kiitos reseptistä:-)

10. Posted January 26, 2009 at 18:36 | Permalink

That looks so good. I love trying new version of tofu, this one ahs made the list!

11. Posted January 26, 2009 at 19:42 | Permalink

This sounds amazing!

12. Posted January 27, 2009 at 10:39 | Permalink

Ooh, this sounds lovely! One of my favorite tofu recipes uses soy yogurt.

13. Posted January 27, 2009 at 20:59 | Permalink

Wow, that looks so delicious.

14. Posted January 27, 2009 at 21:02 | Permalink

Oops…..accidentally posted my comment before I finished…..

The photo looks like a schnitzel, and the lemon slices look like a perfect compliment, if this is indeed similar to a schnitzel.

Mmm….I’ll have to try this soon :)

15. Posted January 27, 2009 at 21:39 | Permalink

I’m so happy to have stumbled upon your blog! I’m steaming some tempeh for your juicy baked tempeh right now, and I’ll definitely be back for more inspiration. Cheers!

16. Pupa
    Posted January 28, 2009 at 03:11 | Permalink

Hello,

very nice blog. Could you give me some baking instructions for this recipe? thx a lot

Posted January 28, 2009 at 10:00 | Permalink

Thanks for all the nice comments and compliments!

Eric – I think that the breading is sort of like the one in schnitzels, but the texture is definitely tofu-ish! I’ve had some soy (tvp) schnitzels that have more of that chewiness.

Pupa, here you are: we just baked ours without breading, on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment, in 175 degrees Celsius, for one hour (along with a bunch of veggies). If you want to use the breading it’s best to spray with olive oil before baking, but I think breaded things are usually better pan-fried. I hope this helps!

18. Posted February 2, 2009 at 02:31 | Permalink

This is my absolute favourite way to eat tofu – marinated for ages then breaded and fried – and as always, your version sounds delicious! I may even attempt to oven-bake as a healthier variation!