Carrot Oven Fries with Chipotle

I know four carrots doesn’t sound much like a meal, but served alongside a pile of my avocado-yogurt dip, these fries did make a perfect light lunch to start the week with. Smoky chipotle flavor roasted right into the heart of my sweet carrots, and they came out of the oven crispy around the edges and soft on the inside. Extremely tasty, yet so simple – as I guess the best recipes always are.

I think this amount would be enough as a side dish for 2-3. The quality of carrots really does make a difference here – I used a bunch of organic carrots that still had a nice protective layer of dirt on them when they reached us. Root vegetables keep better and stay much more flavorful if they’re not cleaned after harvesting, but unfortunately the supermarkets rarely carry “dirty” veggies.

The chipotle I used in this recipe is the adobado kind. Heikki mashed a can of chipotles in adobo sauce when he made the black beans from Veganomicon, and we still have some of the paste in the fridge. Chipotles are amazing in their depth of flavor, but I’m sure these fries would turn out well with other spices if they are hard to find.

The Carrots:

• 4 large carrots, scrubbed and cut into sticks
  • 2 teaspoons mashed chipotles in adobo sauce
  • salt to taste
  • a dash of olive oil to coat

I cut the carrot into thin fry-size sticks and then tossed them with the chipotle and the olive oil. There’s no need to use much oil, just enough to coat the carrots. Then I spread the carrot sticks on a baking sheet in one layer, and sprinkled them with salt. I baked my carrots in 200 degrees Celsius on the upper rack of the oven: first for 35 minutes, then tossed them around, and then another 10-15 minutes until slightly charred here and there.

The Avocado Dip:

• 1 ripe avocado
  • 3/4 dl plain soy yogurt
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of sugar
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped

I simply mashed everything together with a fork and chilled while the carrots were baking.

1. Posted December 8, 2008 at 23:49 | Permalink

That looks absolutely spectacular in a toned-down simple-yet-satisfying way!

2. Posted December 9, 2008 at 18:07 | Permalink

That sounds very delicious! I am so glad chipotles are available in Germany, I wouldn’t know what to do without them. I think they go so well with sweet vegetables like carrots, pumpkin and parsnips. Your picture looks gorgeous.

Posted December 9, 2008 at 21:05 | Permalink

Oh Eric, thanks!

Mihl – we got a bunch of chipotles from Mexico a while back, but they are available here also in the largest supermarkets, where we rarely shop… I hadn’t thought of parsnips, must try!

4. Posted December 9, 2008 at 21:15 | Permalink

Guilt-free fries! that’s a great idea! Not to mention the avocado dip… I love avocado, but here I often find it a bit weak in flavor…

5. Posted December 10, 2008 at 10:13 | Permalink

Oh, what a great idea! I have chipotles too!

Posted December 10, 2008 at 12:45 | Permalink

Alice – thanks! The carrot fries are softer than their deep-fried potato counterpart, but I think the caramelized edges make up for that… Yep, ripe and flavorful avocados are a rarity around here as well!

Melisser, thanks for stopping by – yay for chipotles!

7. Posted December 11, 2008 at 22:01 | Permalink

What a great idea!

8. Posted December 11, 2008 at 23:53 | Permalink

This looks really yummy!

9. Posted December 16, 2008 at 00:49 | Permalink

I absolutely love roast carrots and this accompanying dip sounds fab!

10. Posted December 17, 2008 at 16:01 | Permalink

mmmmm… so glad to hear somebody else comment on how good carrots are important. So many wonderful dishes get made blah by bad carrots (or hothouse tomatoes). But these look amazing. I think I’ll make them tonight.

11. Posted December 18, 2008 at 03:24 | Permalink

You just reminded me that I’ve been dying to make some root vegetable fries, thanks a bunch! They look delicious!

12. Posted December 6, 2012 at 00:24 | Permalink

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it
    helped me out much. I am hoping to give one thing back and help
    others such as you helped me.

13. Posted October 16, 2013 at 12:52 | Permalink

Great idea, I ve just looked in my fridge and seen a large pile of carrots and thought…. What am i going to do with these. Found your Chipotle Carrot chips! Great recipe. Thanks!

14. Anitha
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 19:19 | Permalink

Looks so crispy and tasty..a healthy alternative to potato chips
    try these carrot recipes http://www.givoli.com/ingredients/50?IngredientName=Carrot

5 Trackbacks

1. […] Spicy Carrot Frites (adapted from Tofu for Two Recipe) The Carrots: […]

2. By 3 Types of Frites, 2 Cakes and some Wings on April 18, 2011 at 19:38

[…] Spicy Carrot Frites (adapted from Tofu for Two Recipe) The Carrots: […]

3. […] Let me preface this by saying that I am not a big fan of carrots. I have tried them so many different ways before and there was nothing that ever made carrots super delicious. The closest I get to really liking carrots are when they are in beef stew or chicken noodle soup. But we got a ton of carrots from my parents (my mom’s work union) so I had to do something with them. I saw a recipe for carrot fries somewhere and it sounded doable. I can’t remember the original source so I found this recipe for OVEN BAKED CARROT FRIES. […]

4. By 15 Vegetable Fries Appetizers on February 8, 2014 at 21:08