Dried Apple Rings

The apple season has been fabulous in Finland this year. We’ve gotten a lot of apples from my mum’s garden, and we’ve used them in many different dishes: Fall Fruit Crisp from the Joy of Vegan Baking, Apple Cake, Chocolate Squares with Apples and Oranges, and Anni has also used them in apple sauce and pocket pies. Lastly, we air-dried them – it was super easy, and the dried apple rings were delicious, packed full of flavor. This is not a recipe per se, but just a tip on what do when you have an abundance of apples!

First, we washed our apples to remove dirt – some of the apples had been picked from the ground. Then we removed the cores with an apple core remover. Next, we cut the apples into thin slices, about 4-5mm each. Then, utilizing a needle and a thread, we pulled a thread through a bunch of apple rings, about 30 to 35 rings in one thread. Now, we had a couple of threads with apple slices, which we hung on our doorways, like pictured below:

The tricky part was the hanging of the thread without the apple rings tearing. It’s done best with one person holding the apple rings and another person tying the knots. Once the thread was in place, we carefully moved the rings apart from each other, like pictured above.

The apple rings were dry in about 5 days. Of course we could’ve dried them in our oven as well, but this way we saved some energy, and got to admire the pretty apple bracelets in our home for a few days! It’s easy to develop an addiction to dried apples. We’ve been snacking on them steadily, and our stocks are already running low. Next fall we’re going to make more of them for sure.

1. Posted October 23, 2008 at 12:10 | Permalink

What a great idea!

2. Posted October 23, 2008 at 12:43 | Permalink

Wow, that’s a brilliant idea, thank you! I’m going home this weekend and there’s a few apples trees in the garden there, so I think I might have to try this!

3. Posted October 23, 2008 at 13:21 | Permalink

This is so cute and tasty!

4. Posted October 23, 2008 at 16:42 | Permalink

That is a very cool way to dry your apples!Do they become crispy though? Because I really like them crispy, like freeze dried fruits.

Posted October 23, 2008 at 18:00 | Permalink

Veggie Wedgie – no, these weren’t crispy, more on the chewy side. I think you can make crispy dried apples at home too, apple chip -style, but you might need to heat up the oven for that! Or maybe just slice the apples very thinly – only then they might get too delicate to hang on the thread.

6. Posted October 23, 2008 at 19:30 | Permalink

Those apple strings would make lovely earth-friendly christmas garland!

Great post today!

7. Posted October 23, 2008 at 19:32 | Permalink

Dried apple rings are one of my top five snacks. Thank you so much for this guide. I will definitely make the next rings myself and let you know how it goes!

8. Posted October 24, 2008 at 22:40 | Permalink

Oh these look and I bet SMELL fantastic!
    I used to eat “apple leather” when I was young and I always loved it. Plus, no mess.

9. Posted October 25, 2008 at 01:32 | Permalink

What a cool idea! In my apartment, there’d be pesky fruit flies all up in that. :o)

10. Heikki
    Posted October 26, 2008 at 12:12 | Permalink

Veganbilly, yeah, especially during the first day or two there was a nice apple smell floating around our apartment.

Hey, if you end up making these, we want to see photos! =)

11. Posted October 27, 2008 at 13:15 | Permalink

Oh my gosh! I love apples so much & this is such a beautiful way to dry them!

12. Posted October 27, 2008 at 23:43 | Permalink

What a cute idea!

13. Posted October 31, 2008 at 02:26 | Permalink

They look so pretty hanging up!

I was going to use my dehydrator to dry some apples we picked but now I want to try this too. I wonder if my six year old will be too rough handed to help me?

14. Heikki
    Posted October 31, 2008 at 10:33 | Permalink

The slicing and hanging are a bit tricky, since they both require some amounts of hand-eye coordination, but I guess this depends on how experienced a kitchen hand your child is.

One trick making the hanging easier is to put the apple rings on a tray once the thread’s been pulled through them. One person holds the tray up, while the other ties the thread in place.

One Trackback

1. […] berries really only work in baking or smoothies). You could also try pickling, drying out (see this cute post on drying out apples for apple rings) stuff, making it into jams or marmalades, or sauces (like […]