Roasted Beets and Carrots with Fennel Seeds

The other day I was just casually thinking about beets, and it suddenly dawned on me that fennel seed would be a perfect spice to roast them with. The moment I got the idea I knew it was a good one, and so I wrote this recipe down in a sudden burst of culinary inspiration. I didn’t really change a thing when I finally cooked this last night, and it came out even more delicious than I could have imagined! Roasted beets are always a feast, but with the fennel seeds, chili, and muscovado sugar – they are pure bliss.

I have been thinking about beets a lot lately. I don’t know why, but they are the one ingredient that has been inspiring me most this fall, and there doesn’t seem to be an ending to this state of affairs. I cannot get enough of the purple color, it simply makes me happy each time I cook with beets, and I think their earthy sweetness reflects the essence of autumn itself.

Here’s what I used:

• 6 beets, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 2 big carrots, scrubbed and cut into thick sticks
  • 2 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red chili
  • 2 teaspoons muscovado sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt

First, I preheated the oven to 200 Celsius, and prepped the beets, carrots, and garlic. Then I just placed all the ingredients in a baking pan and tossed them so that each veggie piece was covered with some spices.

I first roasted the veggies for 15 minutes, tossed them around a bit, roasted for another 15 minutes, tossed, and roasted for yet another 15 minutes. After this I checked the salt, and realized the veggies were done, so I turned off the oven. The rice we were going to have with the beets wasn’t quite ready yet, so I popped the vegetables in the oven that was still hot for another 10 minutes to keep them warm.

1. Posted October 22, 2008 at 03:24 | Permalink

I really need to try beets!

2. Posted October 22, 2008 at 09:54 | Permalink

Punajuuri on kyllä ollut jotenkin tämän syksyn juttu. Tämä kuulostaa mielettömän hyvälle, taidankin lähteä punajuurikauppaan :)

Posted October 22, 2008 at 17:24 | Permalink

Shelby – you really do! It took me a while to start liking beets, and I’m still not much into the pickled beets they used to feed us at school.

Hanna – onkohan tänä vuonna erityisen herkullinen punajuurisato? Tämä oli kyllä hyvää, yksinkertaisista aineksista syntyy joskus yllättäviä herkkuja!

4. Posted October 22, 2008 at 20:08 | Permalink

Sounds amazing!!!

5. Posted October 23, 2008 at 01:01 | Permalink

I have been craving beets lately and always eat them steamed. This sounds yummy!

6. Posted October 23, 2008 at 05:03 | Permalink

Beets are so underrated!

7. Posted April 24, 2009 at 02:22 | Permalink

i just came across your wonderful blog today! though i’m not vegetarian, the recipes are inspiring and photos beautiful!

i can’t wait to buy fresh beets this summer and use your recipe. thanks!

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] brush the franks with bbq sauce before wrapping them. Side: Cube your veggies when you make these roasted beets and carrots, and you’re good to go. Dessert: Are you ready to chuckle/groan at me? Okay, here we go: [...]

2. By » Hellraiser Lights! Camera! Vegan! on August 31, 2014 at 09:52

[…] brush the franks with bbq sauce before wrapping them. Side: Cube your veggies when you make these roasted beets and carrots, and you’re good to go. Dessert: Are you ready to chuckle/groan at me? Okay, here we go: […]