Coco Rosie Cookies

I named these cookies after a band, but there’s also a whole history of trial and error behind the recipe. I have been making rosewater cookies for many weeks, using different flours: almond meal, spelt flour, whole wheat flour, and oat flour, among others. This last batch was definitely best of all I’ve baked so far – luckily, since we are running out of rose water soon. What finally made the difference was the use of desiccated coconut, which gives a nice chewiness, and tastewise pairs perfectly with the flowery rose water. These cookies are the dry-ish kind: they are best straight out of the oven, when they melt in your mouth, or dipped in a cup of tea, after which they melt in your mouth as well.

Lately, I have been experimenting with using chick pea flour in baking. Its taste is quite pronounced if you try the batter pre-baking, but afterwards it doesn’t really taste much at all, and works very well as an egg-replacer. These cookies hold their shape quite nicely and won’t fall apart in the tea cup. I also got some oat flour from our organic delivery, but finely ground oats would work just as well.

The Cookie Dough (4 cookies, or 6 smaller ones):

• 1 and 1/2 dl oat flour
  • 1/2 dl desiccated coconut
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chick pea flour (gram)
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon rose water
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons agave syrup
  • 1 tablespoon muscovado sugar
  • some more desiccated coconut (to cover the cookies)

I first stirred the dry ingredients – oat flour through salt – together with a fork, then combined all the liquid ingredients, and mixed everything together until well combined. I divided the dough in 4 equal portions, rolled them into balls, rolled the balls in desiccated coconut, and flattened them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. The cookies were about 3/4 cm thick before baking. I baked them in 175 degrees Celsius for 7 minutes, until browned around the edges, and then removed the cookies from the baking sheet to cool down.

The flatter the cookie, the shorter the baking time, and the crispier the result! Agave syrup seems to brown quickly, so it’s best to check after 5 minutes.

1. Posted October 14, 2008 at 19:09 | Permalink

aw…i love coco rosie and this recipe…
    i really like how it makes four….it feels more personal that way :)

2. Posted October 14, 2008 at 19:28 | Permalink

these sound delightful! I love the coconut rosewater combo =)

3. Posted October 14, 2008 at 20:51 | Permalink

What a cool name. Your cookies look so beautiful and I like the idea of baking with chickpea flour. I am quite convinced that I am making these soon.

4. Posted October 14, 2008 at 21:25 | Permalink

they look delicious! and the name is absolutely brilliant too.

5. Posted October 14, 2008 at 21:35 | Permalink

Those cookies seem to be a melty delicousness and pleasure for the mouth…and soul :D I’ve been baking with chickpea flour a few times and it always went great so it’s a great idea :))

I’d love to get one of your cookies !! :D

Thanx so much for the comment!!
    I’ll be SO HAPPY :) to see you today in my new post :-D I appreciate it !!

Your a real inspiration :D

Have a great time..:)

6. Posted October 14, 2008 at 22:32 | Permalink

that’s one of my favorite bands :) lovely cookies!

Posted October 15, 2008 at 10:01 | Permalink

Thanks for all the great comments, I should’ve known you like CocoRosie!

8. Posted October 15, 2008 at 13:30 | Permalink

These cookies look delicious and the combination of coconut and rosewater I can imagine being delicious!

9. Posted October 15, 2008 at 18:39 | Permalink

These look fantastic! I’ll have to try making them myself. :)

10. Posted October 15, 2008 at 21:54 | Permalink

I admire the dedication you give to testing your recipes. Obviously, it is worth it because these cookies sound incredible. I love cookies that are “dunkable”.

Great job!

Posted October 16, 2008 at 10:00 | Permalink

Deb – thanks! Please tell me how they came out if you do try the recipe!

Jennifer – it’s not like I generally test my recipes, I only post the ones that hit the spot. I think I got a little obsessed about finding a rose water cookie I could come back to… But, yes, totally worth it, and Heikki didn’t mind the steady cookie supply around the house either!

12. Eva
    Posted November 15, 2008 at 10:49 | Permalink

Absolutely perfect! The best cookies I’ve ever made :) Luckily I doubled the ingredients, so there were little more of them, but next time I have to make more of them! :)I didn’t have the rose water, but they really turned out delicious. I think it was also the coconut oil that I used, which made them so delicious.
    Thank you for this recipe!

13. Posted February 25, 2009 at 19:19 | Permalink

i love coco rosie (the band) =) i’ll have to try these cookies, after converting to weird american units!

i’m a new discoverer of your blog, and i like it!