Hot Cocoa with Mint

This isn’t exactly a drink that needs a recipe to succeed, but I just thought I’d share this in case anyone hasn’t thought of adding peppermint extract in their cup of hot cocoa. It’s delicious, and a perfect treat for the darkening nights!

Actually there is another little secret to the greatness of this cocoa: a tiny pinch of salt. It makes all the difference!

The Ingredients for 1 cup:

• 2 dl plain, sweetened soy milk
  • 1 tablespoon good cocoa powder (Green & Black’s is nice)
  • 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
  • a tiny pinch of salt
  • 2 drops peppermint extract

I first heat the soy milk in a little cooking pan until it’s almost boiling, and then whisk in the sugar and the cocoa. I keep on whisking until the sugar’s melted and there are no cocoa lumps visible. Then I stir in the peppermint extract and salt, and enjoy my cup of hot cocoa.

1. Posted September 29, 2008 at 18:40 | Permalink

Hey guys! thank you SO MUCH for your nice comments. I really needed/need it, because I’m going crazy thinking I might be doing the wrong thing (although I KNOW it IS the right thing – weird how your brain tricks you sometimes).
    And how could I make this day a bit better? well, I ate my good share of your chocolate cake (I made it for my birthday party and it was awesome too). Maybe I can round it up with some hot cocoa…

2. Posted September 29, 2008 at 18:43 | Permalink

I have indeed never thought of this. And because I am drinking a lot of hot cocoa these (rather cold) days, I will try this. Thank you.

Posted September 29, 2008 at 18:57 | Permalink

Alice – we both felt so bad about your situation, I’m glad if our comments made you feel at least a little better. (And I’m glad that you liked the cake too!) I know how it feels, taking a leap and not being sure about it… But I am sure it’ll all work out for the better, and then you’ll be completely happy about your decision!

Mihl, it’s getting cold here too after a few warmer days – believe me, this will warm you up!

4. Posted September 29, 2008 at 20:59 | Permalink

Hey thanks for the good idea. I’m already very found of chocolate with peppermint flavour. Now I can try it a liquid way too.

5. Posted September 30, 2008 at 16:54 | Permalink

Since I’m moving back to the cold weather of Illinois (I live in Arizona now) I will be needing this recipe. It sounds so yummy and I have found nothing to do with my peppermint extract!

6. Posted October 1, 2008 at 16:29 | Permalink

I wish I can have a cup of hot cocoa now b4 going to sleep..:9

7. Posted October 14, 2008 at 02:33 | Permalink

Ooh, this sounds SO good!

8. Posted October 14, 2008 at 08:15 | Permalink

This hot chocolate sounds delicious. I am going to start my day with it tomorrow. Thank you for the recipe!

9. Posted May 23, 2009 at 14:51 | Permalink

mmm, thanks for this recipe! it was raining a lot in copenhagen last night and your cocoa really hit the spot. except at the last moment i realized we had no peppermint extrakt… but the pinch of salt really does make it something better. :D

10. Posted April 28, 2011 at 06:55 | Permalink

This is one of the simplest, but most refreshing drink ever. People think that it is so basic, but not many know how to make em. This is a very nice post

11. Posted April 1, 2014 at 02:15 | Permalink

It’s the best time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to
    be happy. I have learn this post and if I may just
    I want to recommend you few fascinating issues or
    suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles regarding this article.

I wish to read even more things approximately it!
    Michael Kors Handbags Outlet

2 Trackbacks

1. By Vegan Mofo: Hot Chocolate « love like a vegan on October 14, 2008 at 00:21

[...] too long ago, tofu for tofu featured a recipe for Hot Cocoa that sounded amazing-Hot Cocoa with Mint. I loooove chocolate and mint. So today, I decided to try it out. It was so simple to make [...]

2. By Hot chocolate from scratch « Bali What? on October 23, 2008 at 07:58

[...] I came across this recipe for Hot Cocoa with Mint on Tofu for Two, I was intrigued to try making hot chocolate from scratch.  I haven’t tried [...]