Oat Herb Crackers

The cracker madness doesn’t seem to come to an end, so I may as well post another recipe. These are the crunchiest, crispiest crackers I’ve managed to produce so far, and their secret ingredient is quite surprising: finely ground rolled oats! I added a few dried herbs for a new flavor, but the texture is definitely what most impressed me when these came out of the oven.

I imagine oat flour can be bought commercially as well, but grinding rolled oats does the trick just fine. I first learned about this method from a cookbook I checked out from the library a while back, Dreena Burton’s The Everyday Vegan.

The oat cracker dough:

• 2 dl rolled oats, finely ground
  • 1 and 1/4 dl wheat flour
  • 3/4 dl nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
  • 1 dl water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed

I set the oven to 175 degrees Celsius, and proceeded to make the crackers exactly like the last time. The only thing I had to do differently was to ground the oats, which I did in our mini food processor. I processed them until they were fine, much like whole wheat flour.

I combined water, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic, and placed the resulting wet mix in the fridge. Then I mixed the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, and covered a baking sheet with parchment paper. When the oven was ready, I added the fridge-cold wet mix to the dry mix bowl, stirred with a fork until combined, and rolled it out on the baking parchment with the help of a little bit of extra flour. I cut the cookies with a pastry wheel and baked them for 20 minutes, until nicely browned and crispy.

1. Posted September 23, 2008 at 00:59 | Permalink

Your other crackers look delicious, but these might be the ones to make me take the plunge. Thanks for the recipe!

2. Posted September 24, 2008 at 10:07 | Permalink

These look perfect, I need to start making my own crackers, too!

3. Posted October 3, 2008 at 08:47 | Permalink

these crackers look great! thank you.
    I am not a vegan, but I am vegetarian.
    Still, I do cook vegan recipes very often.

4. Anita
    Posted December 17, 2008 at 08:51 | Permalink

Thank You for this awesome recipe, I have baked them yesterday and a couple of people have tried it since then. Everyone of them was asking for the secret of it :)
    Thanks again!!!!

Posted December 17, 2008 at 09:51 | Permalink

Anita, you’re welcome, I’m glad you baked and liked these! Oat flour is great isn’t it!

6. Posted June 5, 2009 at 19:49 | Permalink

Hi I am really loving your blog. Those crackers look great. I was thinking of doing herbed crackers this weekend but I was worried about the work. I am going to try this recipe this weekend and see how it goes.

7. Posted September 24, 2009 at 03:22 | Permalink

I tried these recently and couldn’t get over how easy they were to put together and how wonderfully crispy they were! Thanks for another brilliant recipe. :-)

8. barbara
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 17:48 | Permalink

I like the ingredients, but what is dl. Is that a cup. Also I am a raw foodie. Can I use almond meal instead. Have u made this in a dehydrator.