Chocolate Orange Muffins

My ultimate team celebrated its fifth year with a late summer potluck picnic about a month ago. We made these muffins in the morning of the day of the picnic. Most of my teammates are omnivores, so in order to promote veganism I aimed at maximizing the decadence of the muffins. They are based on the Chocolate Muffins with Pink Peppercorns and Cinnamon, except they have extra chocolate in the form of chips, and instead of pink peppercorns and cinnamon, we used orange liqueur and orange zest. They were a big success, thought Anni, me, and the teammates!

This recipe makes 12 muffins. We also halved the recipe a few weeks back, and the results were just as delicious.

The dry mix:

• 4 dl wheat flour
  • 1 dl dark cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

The wet mix:

• 1 dl liquid margarine
  • 1 and 1/2 dl sugar
  • 2 dl (sweetened) soy milk
  • 2 dl plain soy yogurt
  • 100 g chocolate, melted
  • grated zest of 1 orange
  • 2 and 1/2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (or another orange liqueur)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla sugar

Additions:

• 1 and 1/2 dl chocolate chips

First, I preheated the oven to 175 degrees Celsius, greased our 12-cup muffin tin, and dusted it with cocoa powder.

We mixed all the ingredients of the dry and the wet mixes in separate bowls, and then mixed the two together, stirring with a fork until relatively smooth. Now it was time to add the chocolate chips, and stir a bit more to combine. Then we spooned the batter into the cups of the muffin tin, and placed the muffins on the middle rack of the preheated oven.

In our oven it took about 25 minutes for a toothpick inserted in a muffin to come out clean, indicating that they were ready. I placed the muffins upside down on a wooden rack to cool down for half an hour or so, and then packed them for the picnic.

1. Posted September 18, 2008 at 22:57 | Permalink

woooo! yum yum yum! I have to make those! They look so rich!

2. Posted September 19, 2008 at 19:32 | Permalink

These look like I need to make them immediately. The perfect chocolate muffin!

3. Posted September 20, 2008 at 20:29 | Permalink

I just found your blog and it is amazing! You have the most creative recipes and they all sound so tasty!

Mmm chocolate and orange are so good together =)

4. Alma
    Posted November 9, 2008 at 22:59 | Permalink

Unlike the previous readers I MADE the muffins.
    and…

THEY ARE FABULOUS
    gone within few seconds. had to promise my son (4) I was gonna make more tomorrow.

now the word is spread among Austrian meat eaters: veggies can cook fabulous food too ;-)

keep on

5. Heikki
    Posted November 10, 2008 at 09:56 | Permalink

Alma, I’m so glad that you and your son liked them! Hmm, I need to bake some muffins soon too. =)

6. Amy
    Posted January 6, 2014 at 19:33 | Permalink

What a fun recipe! I want to try the pink peppercorn one too… I am in Austria using American measuring cups and holiday ingredients (no stores are open so… have to substitute/make do!) and I have to say… the batter was delicious!! I didn’t have enough soy yoghurt so the final product is a bit dry, but that was expected :) I used extra-dark chocolate (only 60 g or so…) and freshly squeezed orange juice – I would say you could use at least double the amount as for the liqueur! Really a good recipe and thank you so much for putting them up on the blog! PS – I will definitely use *more* extra-dark chocolate when I can, and when my parents send American-style chocolate chips this recipe will be even lovelier!

7. Posted June 6, 2014 at 22:50 | Permalink

Näitä on kehuttu monessa paikassa, joten meinaan minäkin kokeilla heti sunnuntaina! Ihanille näyttää :)