Cracker Addiction

I’ve been seeing salty cracker recipes here and there and they have accumulatively fed my cracker cravings. This week I finally started to bake my own, and how yummy they are! Now I am completely hooked – the triangular shape is just perfect for scooping up baba ghannouj, tsatsiki, or hummus, and these are nice and tasty even by themselves when I want something crispy to snack on.

After doing a lot of online research I settled on a recipe that uses a combination of white and whole wheat flour, includes nutritional yeast, and is seasoned with garlic, cayenne pepper and a little bit of mustard. I also wanted my crackers to have a light texture, so added baking soda and lemon juice – some cracker recipes don’t have any kind of leavening to my great surprise.

This recipe is very adjustable and the spices can be just about anything. I made a batch with only whole wheat, seasoned with tahini, sesame seeds, and wakame seaweed, and Heikki really liked that combo. For me, this is the recipe that works best:

Cayenne Garlic Crackers:

• 2 dl whole wheat flour
  • 1 dl wheat flour
  • 3/4 dl nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon paprika powder
  • 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
  • 1 dl water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed

First, I set the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Then I combined the water, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic, and placed the resulting wet mix in the fridge to cool down. I mixed the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, and covered a baking sheet with parchment paper. When the oven was ready, I added the fridge-cold wet mix to the dry mix bowl, and stirred with a fork until combined. The dough was a little sticky at this point but that’s okay, it was still easy to roll out with the help of a little bit of extra flour.

I sprinkled the parchment paper with some flour, and rolled out the dough with a rolling pin, adding a little more flour here and there when the dough started to stick. I rolled it out until it filled the whole baking sheet, trying to make it as even as possible, and then cut it with a pastry wheeler into triangles as pictured here:

This can be done with a knife as well. It’s not necessary to cut all through the dough – the crackers will bake more evenly if they stick together in the oven, and they’re easy to separate after baking.

Now, I baked my crackers for 20 minutes, until they started to brown just a little bit. These burn very quickly, so it’s best to keep an eye on them after the first 13 minutes or so. Our oven is old and tired, and for some reason it gets very hot in the central area, so the crackers in the center of the baking sheet got a little browner than the ones around the sides. If your oven bakes unevenly, it might be a good idea to turn the baking sheet around midway through baking.

The crackers don’t need to be completely crispy once taken out of the oven, they do crisp up while cooling down. I let mine cool completely on the baking sheet, and then stored them in an airtight container.

1. Posted September 12, 2008 at 17:38 | Permalink

hooray for you and hooray for crackers!

Posted September 13, 2008 at 08:56 | Permalink

Celine, you definitely are the fastest commenter on this blog! Hooray for you!

3. Posted September 13, 2008 at 22:00 | Permalink

The pictures look great! They compliment the tastiness the crackers give off! Mmmmm, wonderful work!

4. Yvonne
    Posted September 14, 2008 at 22:51 | Permalink

I want to thank you for these perfect crackers: I made them today – after haven been disappointed with the other cracker recipes in blogland – you discovered how to make them really crispy! I love the spicy flavor of the recipe you posted, and I would love to try them with tahini, sesame and arame, like you mentioned as being a great combo. But I’m not sure how much I should use and if I have to leave out the paprika, mustard, nutritional yeast and garlic mentioned in the original recipe? And, is the arame supposed to be cooked before using it in the crackers?

Posted September 15, 2008 at 09:25 | Permalink

Yvonne, thank you – I’m so glad you liked the crackers as much as I do!

Let’s see, I didn’t actually write down the seaweed variation, but I remember using about 1 tablespoon tahini (mixed in the wet ingredients) and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. For the wakame (not arame!), I used an instant type that you can just throw in your miso soup – one small package, it weighs 4 grams, and yields about 2 tablespoons. I also chopped the wakame before adding it to the dry ingredients, and didn’t soak/cook it.

I left out the garlic, paprika, mustard and cayenne, but I have to say I thought the crackers came out slightly bland for my taste. Heikki really loved them for their “Asian” flavor though, so if you like wakame and sesame, go for it! I don’t see why cayenne or garlic wouldn’t be good in these too, but they might overpower the original flavors.

And lastly, I would keep the flours and the nutritional yeast as they are, if you want a crispy cracker. Using only whole wheat produces a denser and chewier texture. I hope this helps!

6. Yvonne
    Posted September 15, 2008 at 22:38 | Permalink

You’ve certainly helped, Anni! I happen to have a mixture of seaweed ‘flakes’ (supposed to be sprinkled over salads or greens) that might be good in the crackers with the tahini and sesame seeds, and garlic – maybe a bit of tamari too? I’m looking forward experimenting with this Asian flavor.
    I’ve already made quite a lot of your recipes – I love the originality of your blog!

7. riikka
    Posted September 18, 2008 at 13:28 | Permalink

Mitä nuo nutritional yeastit on suomeksi? Kokeilin ohjetta ilman niitä, mutta lopputulos oli teeleipämäinen eikä se valmiinakaan kovettunut. Maku oli kyllä hyvä, laitoin chilikastiketta sinapin sijaan :)

Posted September 18, 2008 at 14:15 | Permalink

Moi Riikka, se taitaa olla suomeksi ravinnehiiva (ainakin joskus myös oluthiivaksikin kutsuttu). Se on semmoista kuivaa hiutaletta, eli ei ihme ettei resepti toimi ilman! Saattaa olla että tavallisen jauhon lisääminenkin auttaa, mutta hiivahiutaleista tulee kyllä myös hyvää makua. Olen itse aina ostanut nutritional yeastini Sörnäisten Punnitse & Säästä -kaupasta, Marigold – merkkisessä pahvipurkissa.

9. Posted September 19, 2008 at 19:05 | Permalink

This is the best cracker recipe I’ve seen! I can’t wait to try it!

10. Alli
    Posted September 19, 2010 at 22:47 | Permalink

This recipe looks amazing, is one dl the same as 8 ounces ? Thanks !

11. Heikki
    Posted October 4, 2010 at 20:39 | Permalink

Hi Alli, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. One deciliter is same as 0.4 cups. Hope that helps!

12. Posted March 3, 2013 at 14:32 | Permalink

Your current report provides proven beneficial to me personally.
    It’s really helpful and you’re naturally extremely educated in this area. You have got exposed our eye for you to numerous opinion of this particular subject matter with interesting and reliable content material.

2 Trackbacks

1. By A Snack Pack « JuiceWorks Blog on May 19, 2011 at 10:21

[...] foods, and hence they make good fuel-food. *Make your own whole wheat crackers! Here’s a delish recipe [...]

2. [...] Recipe at tofufortwo.net [...]