Green Peppercorn and Rosemary Loaf

This bread was extremely yummy and oh so easy to make! All my thanks go to Celine from have cake will travel, since I adapted this recipe from her Whole Wheat Germ Bread. We don’t have white whole wheat flour in Finland, so I just combined a little regular white flour with a larger amount of basic whole wheat. The resulting bread was delightful – sturdy, substantial bread with a nice sweet flavor from green peppercorns and rosemary. And in addition to the wonderful taste, freshly baked bread makes our home smell extremely cozy.

This recipe makes a large loaf of bread, because my bread tin just happens to be a little larger than most I guess – it’s 12 X 26 cm. This bread does keep quite well, and we didn’t have any problems finishing it in a couple of days just between the two of us.

The Dough:

• 6 dl water
  • 1/2 dl olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons syrup
  • 10 dl whole wheat flour
  • 3 dl wheat flour
  • 1 dl oat bran
  • 3 tablespoons gluten flour
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 15 g dry yeast (or check the package for the right amount)
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon green peppercorns, crushed

I followed Celine’s instructions pretty closely, so here’s what I did:

First, I mixed the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour through green peppercorns) together in a large mixing bowl, but I left out about half of the whole wheat flour to be added later. Then I warmed the water to 42 degrees Celsius (a little warmer than my hand), added the olive oil and the syrup in the water bowl, and started mixing in the flour mixture. Using my hands, I added about 1-2 dl dry mix at a time, and then started adding the remaining whole wheat flour until the dough was quite elastic and didn’t stick to the sides of the bowl.

Then, I placed it on the kitchen counter, and kneaded for about 5 minutes, adding a little bit of flour when it started sticking, and didn’t stop until it was completely smooth and springy. Now, I placed the dough back in the bowl, added a teaspoon or so of olive oil, swirled it around to cover the dough, and let it rise, covered with plastic wrap, for 2 hours.

When the dough had risen nicely (and maybe doubled in size), I greased my bread tin with some more olive oil, kneaded the dough a little more to break the bubbles, formed it into a loaf, and placed in the pan. I covered it again with the same piece of plastic wrap and let it rise for another hour as per Celine’s instructions. I set the oven to 175 degrees Celsius half an hour before baking, and when the dough was ready for the oven, I cut three crosses on the surface of the bread with scissors. Then I baked my bread for 35 minutes, until it was all browned over the top, and made a nice hollow sound when I tapped it with my knuckles.

This is how high the bread had risen before it went to the oven.

1. Posted September 2, 2008 at 22:25 | Permalink

AAARG. why didn’t the US schools teach us metric measures? how do I translate this to what we use? I am so hungry now. I can smell this baking and have all the ingredients.

2. Heikki
    Posted September 3, 2008 at 09:16 | Permalink

Jan, you might find our unit converter on the side panel helpful. You can use it to convert deciliters to cups, for example. By the way, it only works correctly if you use a dot, not a comma, as the decimal separator, but I guess you do that in the US anyway. I’ve been meaning to fix it so that it accepts both, but haven’t gotten around doing it yet.

Posted September 3, 2008 at 09:31 | Permalink

Hi Jan, don’t worry: you can always check our sidebar for quick conversions (below “Cooking Measurements”)!

Well, I suddenly feel like calculating: 4 cups whole wheat flour, 1 and 1/4 cups wheat flour, 3 tablespoons olive oil. And what comes to the amount of dry yeast, it’s best to check the package for how much you need if you bake bread with 2 and 1/2 cups water (that’s how much 6 dl is), since Finnish and American yeasts can be different. I hope this helps!

Posted September 3, 2008 at 09:36 | Permalink

Sorry about the double answer, but I guess both of them have some useful information!

5. Posted September 3, 2008 at 16:02 | Permalink

quite lovely indeed! <3

6. Posted September 3, 2008 at 18:31 | Permalink

Your bread looks amazing!!!

7. Yaelian
    Posted September 3, 2008 at 18:45 | Permalink

Your bread looks/sounds delicious!

8. Posted September 3, 2008 at 19:22 | Permalink

I am so making this, because I love green pepercorns.

Posted September 3, 2008 at 21:07 | Permalink

Oh, thanks for the lovely comments!

Mihl – I thought about adding even more green peppercorns for a more pronounced flavor, since I too love them so much. Maybe another teaspoon of whole peppercorns the next time I bake this.

10. Posted October 6, 2008 at 02:30 | Permalink

that loaf looks great! love the flavor combo!

2 Trackbacks

1. By YeastSpotting September 5, 2008 | Wild Yeast on September 5, 2008 at 10:03

[...] Green Peppercorn and Rosemary Loaf ~ Tofu for Two [...]