Autumnal Apple Cake baked with Olive Oil

We got a free bag of apples from the organic grocery nearby, and since the fall seems to be here for good, I decided to bake something cinnamony. This apple cake was so easy to make, came out perfectly moist, and had such a delightful fragrance, that the forthcoming winter doesn’t suddenly feel like such a bad thing after all!

This is the first time I’ve used olive oil in sweet baked goods, and will definitely be doing that more often from now on. The taste wasn’t overpowering by any means, there was just a hint of the olive goodness hiding somewhere amongst all the apples. I really liked how the top (or, eventually, the bottom) of the cake came out a little crunchy, which is a nice contrast with the moist cakey insides and the fruity topping. The photo is a bit yellowish because of the progressing lack of light in Helsinki, but I guess it’s best to get used to that…

The Cake Batter:

• 4 dl grated apples

Topping:

• 5 small apples, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder

Before starting with the batter, I set the oven to 175 degrees Celsius, grated the apples, and greased a round glass baking dish with a little margarine.

I started with the topping. I sliced 5 small apples, placed them in a mixing bowl, and stirred in the sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Then I poured the slices in the baking dish and arranged them so that they covered the bottom and the sides of the pan.

To make the batter, I first whisked together the olive oil, sugar, and soy yogurt until the mixture was smooth. Then I mixed the dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a separate bowl, and added them to the liquids. I whisked the batter until there were no large lumps and then stirred in the grated apple. Now, I poured the batter in the baking dish over the apples.

Then I baked the cake on the lowest rack of our oven for 55 minutes, until it was well browned, and came off the sides of the baking dish. After baking, I let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, and then inverted the cake on a surface covered with baking parchment. We enjoyed the first slices with some vanilla ice cream, but I think that this cake is just as delicious on its own.

1. Posted August 27, 2008 at 20:17 | Permalink

That cake is honestly one of the most beautiful cakes I’ve ever seen. Great job! Thanks for the reminder, too, that autumn’s not all that bad!

2. Posted August 27, 2008 at 20:52 | Permalink

This cake looks so comforty and wholesome! Something you would have on a chilly evening! I can almost smell this cake and it’s really beautiful!

3. Posted August 27, 2008 at 21:19 | Permalink

what a fantastic looking creation. I too love olive oil in my baked goods.

Your cake is marvelous, I will give this a try for sure. I never considered laying out apples to form a base/topping.

Great post!

4. Posted August 28, 2008 at 01:31 | Permalink

Wow, that is a beautiful cake. Looks perfect for autumn. Well, actually it looks perfect for any season but there is something about the colours that remind me of autumn.

Posted August 28, 2008 at 13:51 | Permalink

Jennifer, Lovliebutterfly, VeganCowGirl, Vaala – thank you for the sweet comments! It’s raining today, but it’s so nice the get all this lovely feedback. Must remember to keep on blogging, and I’m sure the fall blues will keep away.

6. Posted August 29, 2008 at 18:42 | Permalink

Oh this looks so good! And its a wonderful reminder that autumn, my favorite season, is coming! Keep fending off those fall blues with blogging, this is one of my favorite blogs :)

7. Posted August 30, 2008 at 04:58 | Permalink

What a beautiful cake! I used to always use olive oil in baked goods just because it was what I had and have never noticed a difference and the restaurant customers never noticed either.

8. Yaelian
    Posted August 30, 2008 at 15:36 | Permalink

Nami, I will definately try this recipe :)

9. Posted August 31, 2008 at 00:10 | Permalink

I love using olive oil in baking, especially in combination with chocolate!

Posted August 31, 2008 at 19:01 | Permalink

Eric – I actually love autumn as well, but it’s the darkness and weeks and weeks without sunlight that can be a little too much sometimes. But even one day of clear skies (or a friendly comment or two) can mend that!

B36 – I guess that it depends on the variety of olive oil used, some have a stronger aroma than others. Our cake definitely got a nice fragrance from the Extra Vergine we used!

yaelian – great! Tell us how your cake came out if you try this!

Steffi – Olive oil and chocolate, sounds like a wonderful combination. Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that for sure!

11. Posted September 3, 2008 at 07:09 | Permalink

That cake looks so delicious! I’m excited for the coming of fall flavors.

12. Posted September 19, 2008 at 11:12 | Permalink

Tehtiin tätä eilen, ja kaakusta tuli aivan mahtavaa! Kiitos ohjeesta!

13. anna musselman
    Posted November 17, 2009 at 17:20 | Permalink

What does dl mean in relations to measurements in the list of ingredients?

Posted November 17, 2009 at 21:41 | Permalink

Anna – if you check our sidebar on the right, you get to know what dl is in cups, if that’s what you measure by. Dl means deciliter, 100 milliliters, or one tenth of a liter.

2 Trackbacks

1. By Dried Apple Rings | AppetizingRecipes.com on October 28, 2008 at 05:25

[…] and we’ve used them in many different dishes: Fall Fruit Crisp from the Joy of Vegan Baking, Apple Cake, Chocolate Squares with Apples and Oranges, and Anni has also used them in apple sauce and pocket […]

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by delicieux, fitterthanchoc. fitterthanchoc said: @ledelicieux from here http://bit.ly/e6KNBE […]