Tofu Patties with Lime and Smoked Paprika

I have been obsessed with limes since our vacation, and I have a feeling this has something to do with the extremely juicy limes we got in Portugal. Even though the ones we can buy in Finland have just a faint shadow of their Portuguese counterparts’ deliciousness, they do add a lovely fragrance and flavor in most everything – and pair very nicely with smoked paprika, as in these tasty tofu patties.

The limes in Portugal were actually considerably sweeter than the ones we have around here – they are picked more ripe I suppose – which made me realize how challenging it can be to share recipes internationally. So, in this recipe, you might only need half the amount of agave if you live where the lime trees grow!

These patties were nice with mashed potatoes, and especially tasty squeezed between two slices of rye bread like a “fishy” veggie burger. We enjoyed our burgers with some garlic yogurt sauce, fresh dill, and pickled cucumbers – yum!

The Patties:

• 500 g firm tofu
  • 1 dl chopped green onions
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons tamari (or regular soy) sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • grated zest of 1 lime
  • 1 tablespoon agave syrup
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon veggie broth powder (or less than 1 tsp salt)
  • 1 teaspoon crushed dried chilies
  • 3/4 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika powder
  • 1 dl gram (chick pea flour)
  • some more oil for brushing

First, I set the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, and covered a baking sheet with some parchment paper.

I didn’t press the tofu, since the burger dough needs moisture anyway. I just took the block of tofu out of the package and rinsed it, placed in a large mixing bowl, and then squeezed it with my hands until it was all mushy. Now I added the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mixed the dough with a fork until everything was combined. At this point, I checked the taste to see if the balance of salty and sweet and acidic was right, and it was.

Now, I formed 12 patties out of the dough, each about the width of the palm of my hand, and about 2 centimeters thick. I placed the patties on the baking sheet I’d covered with parchment paper, brushed them with some canola oil on both sides, and then placed the baking sheet in the middle rack of our oven. I baked the patties for 10 minutes, then flipped them with a spatula, baked them for 15 minutes, flipped again, and baked for another 5 minutes until they’d browned nicely on both sides.

1. Posted August 24, 2008 at 21:33 | Permalink

Anni! These look amazing, really and truly yummy! It is a nice break from the chickpea patties that are all over the internet right now! Cheers and thanks loads for the recipe.

(I hear you – Limes are delightful)

2. Posted August 25, 2008 at 01:48 | Permalink

This looks so delicious. I am definitely going to try them.
    When I lived in Brasil we would eat limes like oranges. Lime juice, lime popsicles, lime sweets. Now in the states people look at me like Im crazy when I say I like to eat limes plain.

Posted August 25, 2008 at 09:19 | Permalink

VeganCowGirl, thanks for the sweet comment!

Sarah – it sounds like I’ll have to start daydreaming about Brazilian limes! I hope you like these, please report back if you do try the recipe.

4. Barbara
    Posted August 25, 2008 at 20:08 | Permalink

i am also a lime lover, cannot wait to try these…..
    i have been craving a tofu burger of sorts :)

5. Posted September 3, 2008 at 01:32 | Permalink

That looks really good! I especially love how I totally have all the ingredients in the fridge/pantry right NOW. :)

6. Matilda
    Posted September 15, 2008 at 12:07 | Permalink

Hey – these tofu-burgers may be the best ones I’ve ever tried. I’ve made them twice already. Yesterday evening I had friends over and served the burgers with rice and a salad – and my friends also loved them!
    Thanks for a great recipe!

7. Peter
    Posted December 24, 2009 at 00:39 | Permalink

My splendid girlfriend just made this. They were fantastic patties, and better still for being made with love. so nourishing. We had them with cous cous, a dollop of yoghurt, and a dash of tabasco sauce. Made me glad to be alive. My girlfriend (who has just proof read this because I make stoopid mistooks) thinks this sounds over the top, but I really did thouroughly enjoy them. Cheers.

8. Jenny
    Posted May 31, 2010 at 02:17 | Permalink

I took a few nibbles while I flipped the patties and they tasted great! I’m now waiting for its final 5 minutes in the oven. Thank you for the recipe (and for the awesome website)!

9. Rachel
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 23:36 | Permalink

This is an awesome website! Thank you SO much for the recipe. I’m going to make it and bring it in to my class (For a project) as my visual aid. Thanks again! Have a nice day. [:

10. Kloe
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 07:43 | Permalink

I’ve made this recipe a few times already and they were always delightful. Today, I added more lime juice & paprika than in the original recipe, dusted them with chick pea flour and fried them. The outside was crunchy and the inside, deliciously smooth. Mmmh! Thanks for this recipe; it has become a must at my home –even my meat-eaters parents said they couldn’t believe how good it was :)