Dream Chocolate Cake

This is a moist and decadent chocolate cake that owes its wonderful texture to silken tofu and a large amount of chocolate. Not very cakey at all, Heikki described this cake as a blend of cake batter and chocolate frosting baked into one wonderful concoction. Only for those who love fudgy cakes and moist centers!

I used semi-dark chocolate and didn’t even add cocoa powder, since we don’t have any at the moment (and I was too lazy to run to the grocery). This produced an almost milk chocolate-like chocolate flavor. I don’t see why a darker chocolate wouldn’t work as well – the flavor would probably just be more deep and not quite as sweet. This cake really doesn’t need any frosting, but I might drizzle some more chocolate over the top for a fancier presentation.

UPDATE: Alice from Veganland thinks this cake is totally cakey! And now that I’ve learnt that any cake can be cakey as long as it’s delicious, I have to admit that we were wrong – this is indeed a cakey cake!

The Chocolate Batter:

• 220 g semi-dark chocolate (40-50 % cocoa)
  • 350 g firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu vacuum packed is what I use)
  • 2 dl sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 dl canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
  • 3 dl wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

The first thing I did was to preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Then I melted the chocolate and set it aside.

Now, I prepared the batter: I placed the tofu, sugar, oil, vanilla sugar, salt, cinnamon, and coffee liqueur in a large mixing bowl and puréed them with our immersion blender until everything was smooth and there were absolutely no tofu pieces visible.

I mixed the flour with the baking soda in a smaller bowl. Then I poured the melted chocolate in the tofu bowl, stirred with a fork until completely combined, and then added the flour mixture in the bowl as well. I stirred with the fork until just combined – some tiny lumps remained  – and then poured the batter in a glass baking dish (15 cm X 23 cm) covered with parchment paper.

Now, I baked the cake in 175 degrees for 35 minutes, until it was firm to the touch but still a little jiggly in the center. A toothpick inserted in the center did not come out quite clean at this point, but it wasnt’t soaked in batter either.

I think this cake was best when still a little warm, but it does keep in the fridge for a few days at least (or until it’s all gone, most likely). I like to warm it up a little bit but Heikki prefers enjoying it straight out of the fridge – it’s delicious either way.

1. Posted August 18, 2008 at 18:29 | Permalink

Ooh that looks amazingly tasty! I will add that to my list of things to make!

I still need to make that cauliflower chickpea curry dish you shared a few weeks ago…I have the ingredients, just haven’t had the time! (ok, I’ll admit, I’ve been lazy)

2. Posted August 19, 2008 at 01:44 | Permalink

Yum! It looks so light and fluffy!

Posted August 19, 2008 at 09:21 | Permalink

Eric – this was mighty tasty indeed! I hope the curry lives up to your expectations once you have the energy to make it!

jenny – thanks! The cake was quite fluffy on the day of baking, and then in the fridge the texture became sort of dense, and after warming it was fluffy again… Quite unlike any cake I’ve ever baked, really!

4. Posted August 19, 2008 at 21:47 | Permalink

This cake looks delicious. My kind of thing. But is the coffee liquour really necesarry? I don’t have any experiecing with liquour because I never thought of buying it.

5. Posted August 20, 2008 at 08:16 | Permalink

Oh my! That is just too decadent looking!

Posted August 20, 2008 at 10:07 | Permalink

TofuParty – sure, no problem, the liqueur is only there to accentuate the chocolate aroma a little bit. You could just add soy milk, or cold coffee!

VeganCowGirl – decadent is the exact right word to describe this cake!

7. Posted August 20, 2008 at 16:13 | Permalink

Hello Heikki and Anni,

(My) Heikki (hehe) and I are starting to become pesco-vegetarians. We are going to do it gradually though. Luckily I have your site personally bookmarked so we have loads of recipes in our arsenal, hehe.

Hugs,
    Erica

8. Heikki
    Posted August 23, 2008 at 07:28 | Permalink

Erica, good for you! If you’re interested in nutritional questions and are unsure what kind of rebalancing your diet might need, I’d recommend reading “Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet” by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina. It’s a great book, which has both practical advice and summaries of latest research in nutritional science.

9. Posted August 23, 2008 at 11:48 | Permalink

How did you know that I dream of chocolate cake! It sounds perfect, because I think the extra moisture of my silken tofu would be absorbed by the flour!

10. Sina
    Posted August 28, 2008 at 16:59 | Permalink

Hi!

Your cake looks very delicious! I think I’ll bake it for school and serve it to oh-so-picky omnis.
    Do you think it’s like a vegan version of kladkaka?

By the way: Your blog is a favourite of mine!

Sina

Posted August 28, 2008 at 18:28 | Permalink

Hi Sina, thank you so much! I guess kladkaka is mudcake, and I haven’t actually ever tried that (since it hadn’t quite become popular in Finland back in the day when I wasn’t vegan)! But it might be similar, I think. Sorry but you just have to try this yourself to find out! And in any case, I do think that this cake has pretty much omni-wooing potential.

12. Posted September 7, 2008 at 22:43 | Permalink

Hi! I just made the cake :-). First of all, I was able to find mori-nu, and it really makes a difference. The consistence of the tofu is different from the other silken tofu I’ve tried, and it also tastes so much better! I haven’t tried the cake yet, I’m saving it for tomorrow evening (it’s my birthday), but it smells great and it looks just right. Of course, I won’t tell anyone that there’s tofu in it ;-)

Posted September 8, 2008 at 09:51 | Permalink

Alice – that’s great! Mori-Nu is really good, and it has such a nice, mild flavor. Happy birthday, I hope everyone likes the cake as much as we do!

14. Posted November 11, 2009 at 21:44 | Permalink

Next week I’m going to travel all the way from Frankfurt to Paris carrying the ingredients for this cake to bake it for a friend for her birthday!
    If that’s not dedication I don’t know what it is ;-). It’s the best cake ever and I want everybody to know!

15. PatryCCCja
    Posted July 25, 2010 at 12:41 | Permalink

Thanks Annie, this cake is delicious! I love it! I’ve added it’s trnslation to Polish vegetarian cookbook: http://puszka.pl/przepis/5767-wymarzone_ciasto_czekoladowe_z_silken_tofu.html – I hope this recipe will become very popular in Poland! :)

16. Anna
    Posted February 8, 2012 at 01:21 | Permalink

I made this today, substituting olive for canola oil (since I didn’t have any neutral oil)- turned out really nice anyway! I mean since it’s just 50 ml it’s not noticeable :) for some reason the cake didn’t rise at all (maybe the batter was too heavy and I would have needed more leavener), but that didn’t harm the taste either.. just turned out more dense :) thank you for sharing the recipe!