Coconut Ice Cream with Raspberry

I’ve always thought that you need an ice cream maker if you want to have home made ice cream, so I was delighted that the ice cream Anni made turned out so good. The next step, of course, was to make ice cream of my own. I wanted to try coconut ice cream, since it isn’t available here in Helsinki, or at least we haven’t found any.

Here’s what I used (enough for about 8 dl of ice cream):

• 4 dl coconut milk
  • 2 dl whippable oat cream
  • 1/2 dl sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar or more
  • 200g frozen raspberries or more
  • fresh raspberries for decoration

I began by melting the frozen raspberries and then putting them in a sieve on top of a bowl. I took a glass, and mashed the raspberries in the sieve with the bottom of the glass, until only the seeds and the skins of raspberries remained. In the bowl was some nice, fine raspberry purée. Obviously, if you have some kind of raspberry-crushing pestle that suits the task better, feel free to use one.

I put the oat cream and sugar in a bowl, and whipped them for a couple of minutes. Then I added the coconut milk, vanilla sugar and the raspberry purée in the bowl, and whipped some more.

I put the mixture in the freezer for an hour. Then I used our immersion blender to break the texture of the not-quite-yet ice cream, and put it back in the freezer again. I repeated this for 5 hours and 5 mixes, and then I put it back in the freezer for two hours more.

It was ready to eat now! We decorated the portions with some fresh raspberries we had picked ourselves. The texture was great, very much like store-bought ice cream. The taste was delicious too! It was very coconutty and could’ve been more raspberrish, so next time I think I’ll add a bit more vanilla sugar and use more berries.

1. Posted August 13, 2008 at 21:54 | Permalink

When I see pictures like this, I really wishes I had a freezer. It looks very yummy!

2. Heikki
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 21:57 | Permalink

We only have a fridge with a small freezer compartment, but at least it can be used for freezing too, so I shouldn’t complain…

3. Yaelian
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 22:01 | Permalink

Nami nami, it looks and sounds so yummy and I would so much like to try this too.Unfortunately, here in Israel where I live now they don’t have any oats based products except for oat milk, sigh! I used those Go Green products when in Finland last month, they are really great.

4. Posted August 13, 2008 at 23:07 | Permalink

Will it melt if you send it to Germany? because I could use some ice cream now :-)

5. Posted August 14, 2008 at 06:57 | Permalink

That looks & sounds utterly delicious!

6. Heikki
    Posted August 14, 2008 at 09:23 | Permalink

@Yaelian: I think this might work without the whippable cream too, just with some basic soy or other vegan creamer. But I’m not sure, since this was the first time I tried making ice cream.

@Alice: I wish I could mail order ice cream too. I’m drooling after all those vegan ice cream brands available in the States. Well, better to make your own, I guess. =)

@Carrie: Thanks! It’s long gone now, I wish there was more of it…

7. Posted August 15, 2008 at 23:26 | Permalink

Hei!
    Haluaisitteko linkittää blogini ja vastavuoroisesti minä teidät? Olen vasta perustanut (kasvisruoka)blogin (pitkällisen ruokablogien seurailun jälkeen) ja olisi kiva hieman verkostoitua! Kirjoitan myös englanniksi.

8. Posted August 17, 2008 at 03:51 | Permalink

Awesome! I love that you made this without an ice cream maker too! Thank you for the recipe.

9. Posted August 17, 2008 at 13:49 | Permalink

Your dishes always look so great! If only you were at my country to set up a vegan bakery!

10. Heikki
    Posted August 18, 2008 at 21:20 | Permalink

Destiny & dreamy, thanks for your sweet comments! I don’t think we could run a bakery. The 3am wake-ups would kill us! Then again, we’ve been dreaming about having a small café. Hmm, maybe we’ll set it up in Singapore instead of Helsinki. =)

Rosa, kiva että olet ryhtynyt bloggaamaan! Meillä on vähän ollut periaatteena, että linkataan vaan vegaanisiin blogeihin, mutta sun blogi näyttää kyllä tosi kivalta. Mä laitoin sulle äsken mailia.

11. Posted August 19, 2008 at 14:43 | Permalink

Kiitos selventävästä mailista! :-D En tiennytkään tällaisista käytännöistä. Eiköhän se blogiura tästä hiljakseen urkene jos on niikseen!

12. Posted August 27, 2008 at 20:42 | Permalink

You make my mouth water! I haven’t had ice cream for ages! I don’t get any oat creamer over here. Maybe I could use some mashed bananas instead..? But this looks really creamy!