Beet Quinoa with Beluga Lentils

My mom gave us some fresh beets from the summer cottage, and this is one of the dishes we used them in. I love quinoa, and my favorite way to cook it is like this: in a pilaf with just a few spices and a vegetable or two. The beluga lentils are delicious, and I especially like how they have a resemblance to quinoa when it comes to size and shape, but the texture is quite different.

We served this dish with a simple side of cubed daikon radish, dressed with some lemon juice, linseed oil, and a pinch of salt and sugar.

The Beet Quinoa:

• 2 and 1/2 dl quinoa, well rinsed
  • 2 small beets, finely grated (about 2 dl)
  • 1 onion, cubed
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 dl kalamata olives, sliced
  • 1/2 dl red wine
  • 4 dl water
  • 1 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • salt to taste
  • canola oil for frying

I first fried the onions in the oil until translucent, then added the garlic and the herbs, and fried a bit more. Now, I added the quinoa and the beets, and fried for a minute or so, just to coat them with the oil. Then I added the water, the red wine, and the olives, covered the pan, and let the quinoa absorb all the liquid, which took about 18 minutes. I checked it more often toward the end of the cooking time, and added just a little bit of water when it started to dry out but wasn’t quite done yet.

When the quinoa was cooked, I stirred in the Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper, and the dish was ready to be served.

The Beluga Lentils:

• 2 and 1/2 dl Beluga lentils
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed

I cooked the lentils with the bay leaf until they were soft, which took about 15 minutes. Then I drained the lentils, removed the bay leaf, and added the rest of the ingredients. Then I let the flavors develop in room temperature until the quinoa was all cooked.

1. Posted August 7, 2008 at 15:33 | Permalink

awesomeness! every time I read about beluga beans, I imagine them disguised as whales and it amuses me.
    (NB: I never claimed to not be too easily amused, though.)

2. Posted August 7, 2008 at 18:17 | Permalink

Tää ohje menestyisi varmasti elokuun haastekisassa, jota käydään Puolen kilon keittiössä! Osallistukaa ihmeessä :)

3. Posted August 7, 2008 at 19:58 | Permalink

It looks so pretty and extravagant :-)

4. Posted August 8, 2008 at 07:14 | Permalink

SO pretty, and healthy, and SO getting added to the list of things I hope I remember to make! I think the daikon radish is totally inspired, too.

5. Posted August 13, 2008 at 03:31 | Permalink

gorgeous quinoa!

6. Mari
    Posted August 17, 2008 at 22:45 | Permalink

Mitä mahtaa tämä “daikon radish” olla suomeksi, ja mistähän sitä pk-seudulta sopii mennä kyselemään? Silmää hivelevä annos, joka on pakko toteuttaa myös meidän keittiössä. Kiitos!

Posted August 18, 2008 at 09:31 | Permalink

Moi Mari, Daikon-retiisi se vaan taitaa olla! Me kasvatettiin itse mökillä noita, joten vaikea sanoa saako kaupoista ostettua – ehkä torilta tai kauppahallista. Mutta maku on kyllä aika lähellä tavallista retiisiä, Daikon on vaan väriltään valkoinen, ja muistuttaa enemmän tukevaa porkkanaa kuin retiisiä.

8. keite
    Posted February 19, 2009 at 22:15 | Permalink

I’m American, but of Finnish ancestory (two generations ago). It’s exciting to find vegetarian food bloggers from Finland! And this quinoa dish looks delicious.

9. Posted April 8, 2010 at 14:20 | Permalink

I’ve been thinking about this recipe all week, and I’ve finally just got some beluga lentils and white quinoa! I was thinking of making it this weekend if all goes to plan :)

Thanks tons for sharing it!

One Trackback