Blueberry Lime Ice Cream with Matcha Powder

We are finally back from holidays – well rested and happy to be in our own kitchen again! This ice cream, which actually was my first homemade ice cream ever, is something I’ve had in mind for a few months now. We don’t have an ice cream maker, and without one the process requires a lot of time hanging around the house. But the result was delicious, and I’m pretty sure we’ll be experimenting with a bunch of new flavors in the future!

This recipe makes a pretty nice, smooth ice cream, and it wasn’t as much work as I thought it would be. Blueberries and lime are a match made in heaven, and matcha powder adds a nice green tea flavor in the mix – I like to make a smoothie with these three ingredients as well.

Here’s what I used:

• 350 g firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu)
  • 200 g frozen blueberries
  • about 2 dl confectioner’s sugar (depending on the sweetness of the blueberries)
  • 3 and 1/2 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
  • juice and zest of 1 lime
  • 2 dl oat cream (or other vegan cream)

Making the ice cream takes about 5 hours (in our tiny freezer compartment), and it’s best eaten on the day of making. This recipe fills one 750 ml (7,5 dl) container.

First, I reserved 1 dl of the blueberries for serving, and placed the rest in a mixing bowl. Then I added all the other ingredients: lime juice and zest, tofu, oat cream, sugar, and matcha powder. I blended everything with our immersion blender until completely smooth, poured the mixture in the container, and popped it in the freezer.

Now, I set our kitchen timer at 55 minutes (it can only be set to 1 hour or less), and when the alarm went off, I hurried into the kitchen to blend the ice cream. I moved it in a large mixing bowl, blended with our immersion blender, ladled right back in the container, and placed it in the freezer again.

Then I repeated the above step two more times, until 3 hours had elapsed. The fourth time I only let the ice cream freeze for 35 minutes, then stirred briskly with a fork to break the texture once again, and placed it in the freezer for about an hour more, until it was time for dessert.

If frozen overnight, this ice cream becomes very solid, and needs to thaw for about an hour in the fridge before it’s scoopable.

1. Posted July 16, 2008 at 17:07 | Permalink

Glad to see you back and I hope you had a really nice vacation! Even without an ice cream maker your ice looks and sounds awesome! Often I am too lazy to drag out the ice cream maker and then I just blend some silken tofu with frozen fruit and some sugar. Instant soft serve so to speak.

2. Posted July 16, 2008 at 17:39 | Permalink

I’m glad to see that you are back. I love your posts. The recipes look delicious and easy to do. I especially like your unique combinations.

Posted July 16, 2008 at 20:10 | Permalink

Thanks Mihl – our vacation was just perfect, and even long enough to make it very nice to be back at home! I wish we had an ice cream maker, but on the other hand I try to avoid getting more gadgets, since we haven’t got much storage space to spare…

And Maria, thanks for your sweet comment, I’m completely delighted to hear from you!

4. M
    Posted July 17, 2008 at 10:39 | Permalink

darned, why haven’t i thought of this :D thanks, must try this!

5. Yaelian
    Posted July 18, 2008 at 13:10 | Permalink

Lovely recipe that I will try one of these days. Ihanaa etta olette palanneet blogimaailmaan:)

6. Shvetha
    Posted July 20, 2008 at 16:05 | Permalink

You’re back..yay!! Been missing your posts..

7. Posted July 26, 2008 at 05:21 | Permalink

Hows the vacation? Can the ice cream still be made if the vegan cream is omitted?

Posted July 26, 2008 at 08:58 | Permalink

Hi Dreamy – the vacation was great while it lasted… I suppose this recipe could work without the cream, but the texture wouldn’t be as nice. I do recommend using some cream alternative – cashew, or even coconut – for maximum deliciousness!

And thanks everyone for your sweet comments!

9. todd
    Posted July 28, 2008 at 08:19 | Permalink

Thanks. We love blueberries, lime and macha and are so thankful for the recipe … ice cream and also the smoothie … it combines my 2 favorite drinks … what do you get when you mix a blueberry smoothie with a green tea macha frappes …. and add tofu …your recipe ymmmmmm.