Zesty Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake

The fruit combo in this cake is very nice and summery – lemon zest adds a refined kick to the usual pairing of rhubarb and strawberries, and the cake layer is sweet with a hint of cinnamon. When I first baked this, my mom said that it tastes like it had eggs in it. And I sort of agree – at least the texture of this cake is very similar to cakes that use eggs. I suspect it’s got something to do with baking soda and soy yogurt, but chemistry is not my strongest point, so that’s as far as I’m going to go with speculation…

Rhubarb is very tart, hence the generous amount of sugar in the filling. I also recommend drinking a glass of calcium-enriched vegan milk with this pie, since rhubarb might steal the calcium from your body if you don’t. This recipe makes a lot of cake, enough for 10 helpings I’d say.

The Filling:

• 4 large rhubard stalks (about 6-7 dl sliced rhubarb)
  • 4-5 dl (frozen) strawberries

• 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar

The Crumb Topping:

• 1 dl rolled oats
  • 1 dl wheat flour
  • 1/2 dl sugar
  • 1/2 dl liquid margarine

First, I prepped the rhubarb: peeled the skin and sliced it very thinly. Then I mixed all the filling ingredients and set aside while making the cake and the batter.

For the cake, I first whisked together the soy yogurt, margarine, and sugar. The result will be grainy, but that’s okay. Then I mixed the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, added this to the wet, and stirred with a fork until combined. The batter is relatively stiff as far as cake batters go.

Then I proceeded to make the topping by mixing everything together with a fork.

Now, I covered our (20 X 30 cm) baking dish with parchment paper, making sure there was enough paper to cover the sides of the dish as well, because this cake will rise a lot in the oven. Then I spread the cake batter in the bottom of the pan, poured the fruit filling over it, and sprinkled the crumbles on top.

Then I baked in 200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted came out clean, and the crumb topping had browned nicely. We served the cake with vanilla soy ice cream.

1. Posted May 31, 2008 at 22:09 | Permalink

There’s nothing better than a fruit coffee cake in the afternoon with a cup of tea :-)

2. Posted June 1, 2008 at 15:08 | Permalink

I’m sure this is a superb cake, have to try it as soon as I can get my hands on some rhubarb (I wonder what other combinations would work well?). So far my favorite cake in the world is raspberry chocolate blondie bars from VWAV and I believe the cake is probably so heavenly mainly because of soy yoghurt.

I’d assume you could use canola oil instead of margarine. At least Isa always uses oil. It would be slightly healthier that way.

Posted June 2, 2008 at 10:45 | Permalink

Alice – I completely agree!

Maija – sure, canola oil would be fine too! I just made this at the cottage with margarine the first time, and the consistency was so nice that I didn’t want to change anything.

I’m not really sure what would sub for rhubarb, it’s such a unique flavor! Something very acidic, I suppose… Why not lingonberries or cranberries?

4. Posted June 3, 2008 at 01:30 | Permalink

Hi – I am new to blogging, and I just found your site. I love it! What software did you use to make the banner at the top of your page?

Also – are there a lot of vegans in Finland?

– Katie :)

Posted June 5, 2008 at 14:23 | Permalink

Hi Katie – welcome to our blog, and thanks! Hmm, I just snapped the banner picture and Heikki did the rest – he can be a computer wizard sometimes so I’m not sure what exactly… But I’ll ask him to e-mail or leave you a comment and explain!

There aren’t terribly many vegans in Finland, and Finns generally think that living without dairy products isn’t healthy. But veganism is getting more popular each day, I like to think!

6. Posted June 26, 2008 at 12:18 | Permalink

The cake turned out very good – I have to say I still prefer the texture of Isa’s yoghurt-based cake. I don’t know why it turns out so different, even though the batter/dough has the same consistency and taste. It contains less fat and yoghurt, though. We used Alpro’s raspberry yoghurt in this one and the batter tasted faintly of raspberry, but the final product did not.

The fruit layer was great, I just wished there were much more of it! Though the crumb topping suffered from storage, I’d say the cake was better the next day and the following days, because it absorbed moisture from the fruit layer.

Posted July 16, 2008 at 12:05 | Permalink

Maija – I’m glad you liked the cake! Our cake was pretty moist straight from the oven as I remember, although we didn’t have a slice left the next day to compare with… I’ll have to try making Isa’s cake some time soon!

One Trackback

1. By Vegan plum cake | from Vienna to Copenhagen on September 12, 2011 at 22:41

[…] follow recipes too precisely but use my intuition and the ingredients I have on hand. I found a recipe for Vegan fruitcake some time ago which I followed precisely once and then adapted it quite excessively and wrote it […]