Caramelized Oat Biscuits

These thin caramelized oat biscuits are often the first baking project Finnish kids learn – they’re so easy to make and the results are delicious. The two tricks are to leave enough room around the dollops of batter before baking, since they spread out a lot, and not overbaking them, since they burn very quickly.

These biscuits are called kauralastu or kaurapitsi in Finnish – “oat shavings” or “oat lace”. They are extremely sweet, a little too sweet to eat on their own for my taste, but more than perfect served with ice cream. We also used these to make ice cream sandwiches, with vanilla ice cream and blueberries – yum!

This batch makes a lot of biscuits, and we still have a jar full of them, but stored in an airtight container they keep for at least a few weeks.

Thin Oat Biscuits (makes 50-60):

• 3 and 1/2 dl rolled oats
  • 1/2 dl whole wheat flour
  • 2 and 1/2 dl sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 dl liquid margarine (or 100 g melted)
  • 1/2 dl muscovado sugar
  • 3/4 dl soy milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

We first mixed all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, then added in all the liquids, and finally just stirred with a fork until combined.

Then we covered a baking sheet with parchment paper and dropped teaspoonfuls of the batter on the sheet. The first sheet was a bit crowded, and we ended up with one very large biscuit! A teaspoonful of batter makes a biscuit that’s about the size of the palm of my hand, so these really do spread out quite a lot. We found out that making about 10 per baking sheet was good.

We baked our biscuits in 200 degrees Celsius for 5-7 minutes, until their edges had browned. At first, they needed 7 minutes, but once the oven had warmed more, 5 minutes was just enough – it’s important to keep an eye on them after 4 minutes, since the edges can turn black in less than a minute’s extra time.

After baking, we slided the parchment paper from the baking sheet to the kitchen counter, and let the biscuits cool down for a few seconds. Straight out of the oven, they don’t keep together well, but after only a few seconds they start to firm up. We wanted to make some curved biscuits too, so we lifted them with a thin spatula and carefully placed over a rolling pin. Now, if the biscuits had cooled down too long, they wouldn’t bend any more, so this is a little tricky. But flat biscuits are just as good!

Heikki also molded some of the biscuits in small bowls, and they make really pretty desserts with berries and ice cream!

These cookies were molded in small bowls right after baking.

1. Posted May 26, 2008 at 23:29 | Permalink

Oh, my! I can almost taste their sweet crispy goodness! And the photos with the berries & ice cream? WOW. Okay, my mouth is watering now, so I have to go get something to eat!

2. Posted May 27, 2008 at 01:22 | Permalink

can these confections possibly be as good tasting as they look? lovely

3. Posted May 27, 2008 at 09:52 | Permalink

If kids can bake this, maybe I can too…

4. Posted May 27, 2008 at 10:47 | Permalink

Beautiful photos, and a very fun baking project idea. Little cookies like these are often served with ice cream here in France & it’s so good!

5. Shvetha
    Posted May 27, 2008 at 12:30 | Permalink

So, when are you starting your restaurant?
    :-D

Posted May 27, 2008 at 17:02 | Permalink

Thanks you all, these really are crispy and crunchy and delicious – and Alice, you most definitely can!

Shellyfish – this is a nice project for kids since there’s no waiting around, everything comes together so very quickly.

Shvetha – haha, thanks! not in the near future anyway…

7. Posted May 27, 2008 at 21:42 | Permalink

This is what kids in Finland learn? I am moving immediately!(Now I understand why you are so good at this PISA study thing!)
    These are gorgeous!

8. Posted May 28, 2008 at 03:25 | Permalink

This look cool!I have never heard of them, but here in Greece they make a similar cookie, thicker, with the addition of coconut and honey.Im guessing you can add coconut on this recipe too!I want to make them! And you could also make proper ice cream cones!!oh my oh my

9. Posted May 28, 2008 at 06:15 | Permalink

I love making thin cookies like these…they are too cute!

Posted May 28, 2008 at 08:44 | Permalink

Mihl – it all comes back to you since our school system is based on the German model! This was my first project at the cooking classes at school, but Heikki only remembers baking coffee cake at school…

veggie wedgie – I though about ice cream cones, they would be so good!

My S & S – thanks!

11. Posted May 28, 2008 at 10:17 | Permalink

o these are gorgeous. i love how thin they are!

12. Posted March 9, 2009 at 16:28 | Permalink

hi, i think this is a enjoyable idea.
    It gives us alot of remarkable choice’s and exstreem flavours with the healthy oat buscuits.

One Trackback

1. By Jules Wiki: Jamie Things on September 17, 2008 at 10:46

[…] Sugar-Free Oatmeal Banana Raisin Cookies Rich dark chocolate cake lofat cheesecake Clafoutis caramelized oat biscuits zemelen fruitkoek Eplepai Bananabars bread pudding Raisin Scones crepes barley preserve Chocolate […]