Baked Beet Chips with Horseradish Dip

I love thin and crispy chips – potato, corn, or apple, they’re sure to disappear in no time at our house. I don’t like deep-frying things because it’s just a little bit scary, but I baked these beetroot chips in the oven. They came out very crispy indeed, and the earthy flavor of beets paired very well with the fiery fresh horseradish dip we served on the side.

Baking the beets in the oven instead of deep-frying makes them shrink quite a bit, since the moisture content isn’t replaced by the oil. This batch made a nice light snack for the two of us, but I plan on making a double batch the next time, so good they were. Then I’ll just have to use two baking sheets, alternating their places halfway through baking. To save a little energy, it’s best to make these after cooking something else in the oven, when it’s still warm – it won’t take much electricity to maintain the low temperature required to bake the chips.

The Chips:

• 2 medium-sized beets, peeled and thinly sliced
  • olive oil (from a spray bottle)
  • salt to taste

I peeled the beets, and sliced them very thinly with a cheese-cutter. I covered a baking sheet with parchment paper, and sprayed a thin layer of olive oil over the paper – you can also brush the paper with a little oil as well.

I arranged the beet slices on the baking sheet, snugly but not overlapping, and sprayed them with some more olive oil. Then I baked them in 100 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes, flipped the chips, and baked for 40 minutes more. At this point they were very crispy and dry, but not yet burnt – I did check on them every 10 minutes or so just to make sure they wouldn’t get charred. After baking, I salted the chips, and let them cool for 15 minutes before digging in.

The Dip:

• 3/4 dl plain, unsweetened soy yoghurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated horseradish
  • chives for garnish

I mixed all the ingredients and refrigerated the dip while the chips were in the oven, and then sprinkled with the chives right before serving.

Raw beetroot slices.

1. Posted May 3, 2008 at 18:28 | Permalink

I was just going to try something like this! I was thinking of beet fries, but these are very pretty. Maybe I’ll make two batches – one sliced and one in fry pieces. And pairing with horseradish – what a good idea!

2. Posted May 3, 2008 at 22:09 | Permalink

Looks very good to me… I made recently lotus root chips so why not beetroot… horseradish dip sounds very interesting!

3. Posted May 4, 2008 at 07:09 | Permalink

i love carrot chips, so i bet i would love these too. maybe i’ll try to find some chioggia beets; the chips would be so pretty (though they’re damn good-looking as is).

4. Posted May 4, 2008 at 07:28 | Permalink

These sound delicious. I could totally see the sweet beets going with the spicy horseradish.

Posted May 4, 2008 at 10:02 | Permalink

magpie – I’ve never heard of beet fries, sounds interesting!

coffee&vanilla: lotus root chips must be very pretty, too bad that it isn’t often available around here.

michelle – the same goes with chioggia beets, I’ve never seen them in Helsinki, but maybe I just haven’t been looking properly. From what I’ve seen in pictures, they do slice beautifully!

Marc (&magpie): beets and horseradish are a traditional combination in Eastern Europe, so that’s where I’ve snatched the idea!

6. Posted May 4, 2008 at 15:43 | Permalink

beet chips! they’re pretty and baked means it’s healthier than regular chips. like this very much! x

7. Posted May 4, 2008 at 17:53 | Permalink

What a great idea! I love beets — this will be a great new way to try them. I like the fact that they’re baked, too — never been a fan of deep-frying. Thanks for the recipe.

8. Posted May 4, 2008 at 18:51 | Permalink

Hei – found you via Tastespotting, then couldn’t help but note the Marimekko tin in your header, I have one too, lived in Vantaa as an exchange student and still have much-close ‘family’ there too. I’m so glad to have more Finns blogging in English as my Finnish is nearly entirely lost except for a few words, mostly food!

9. Posted May 4, 2008 at 22:23 | Permalink

I love these…they look wonderful…what a great flavor they must have.

10. Posted May 4, 2008 at 23:27 | Permalink

11. Jane
    Posted May 4, 2008 at 23:36 | Permalink

I didn’t even finish reading the entire post before I jumped up to make these!

They’re delicious – thanks

(I have the second batch on the go right now)

12. Posted May 5, 2008 at 00:36 | Permalink

These sound delicious! You photos are gorgeous. I love beets and horseradish so I can’t wait to make these.

13. Posted May 5, 2008 at 04:01 | Permalink

Sounds like a great way to get your beets!I will try it for sure.Also very beautiful photos!

Posted May 5, 2008 at 09:23 | Permalink

Oh, thanks for all the lovely comments – I don’t think we’ve ever had this many!

purpleceline – Yep, slicing them thin is essential, and also the low baking temperature, I think. Mine weren’t paper thin though, so no need to stress too much about it!

Jane – I’m glad your chips were a success! I would have made a second batch after the first one too, but we ran out of beets…

15. Posted May 6, 2008 at 10:19 | Permalink

I saw an English chef bake a load of these up on the BBC the other night – yours look much yummier!!! :)

16. Posted May 7, 2008 at 18:20 | Permalink

Delic! I’ve been planning on baking beetroot chips for some time now and now I feel it’s a must! I also became very keen on your horseradish dip… :)

17. Posted May 9, 2008 at 02:59 | Permalink

I have beets and am gonna try these tomorrow. I do a baked kale with bragg’s that’s very good, I hope these are similar. I want crunchy beets.

xo
    kittee

Posted May 9, 2008 at 11:35 | Permalink

kittee – these were very crunchy, I assure you! Although I’m not sure how long they keep that way after baking, probably it’s best to eat them on the day of making.

19. Posted May 9, 2008 at 16:41 | Permalink

oh wow! these look amazing! i just found your blog today and it’s so awesome! the pictures are beautiful, the dishes are all so creative and yummy looking! i love it all!

20. Posted May 30, 2008 at 00:18 | Permalink

Hi Anni,

Just thought I’d let you know that I did post about these awesome chips on my blog: http://madelinesadaptations.blogspot.com/2008/05/beet-chips-and-dip.html

Thanks so much for letting me use your recipe!

21. Posted November 23, 2010 at 05:03 | Permalink

Hi guys,

I just want to say a big THANK YOU for this recipe. I tried them on Sunday when I had some friends for a few drinks, they were a great a hit.

Do you have a recipe for “Tumeric Tea” ?

Would love to hear from you…

Once again, many thanks.

Cheers,

John

22. Posted September 13, 2011 at 11:17 | Permalink

Hey there,dear sir First, sorry for my bad English. But i must talk about your Website / Blog. I was found your Blog on search with Google an today is my second visit here. I am a Internet Marketer and looking for some good Information for my website autopolieren it is a new site. I am happy you visit my Blog to. Thank you very mutch an have a good time. Best Regards an good Business.

23. Posted October 14, 2014 at 01:45 | Permalink

Wonderful site. A lot of helpful info here.
    I am sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious.
    And obviously,thanks too your sweat!

3 Trackbacks

1. [...] ????: Tofu for two [...]

2. By Beet chips | Superprotronix on June 6, 2011 at 16:43

[...] Tofu for Two » Baked Beet Chips with Horseradish DipThese look great! I planned on making baked beet chips once but was worried they wouldn’t dry out enough. Maybe the key is slicing them thin– I’ll give it a try. (Beautiful photos, by the way.) Comments Off [...]

3. By Baked Chips on December 9, 2011 at 13:02

[...] towels. … Recipe adapted from: Good Food Channel Image credit: Creative Commons photo via Tofu for Two GA_googleFillSlot("eatdrinkbetter.com_blog_BTF_300x250"); ShareHello there! If you are new here, [...]