Tosca Cupcakes

I wanted tosca cake and Heikki wanted cupcakes, and thus the tosca cupcakes were created. I seasoned the cake part with cardamom, and it came out quite light and moist in texture, contrasting nicely with the crunchy almond topping. The humble appearances of these cakes are deceiving, since they do taste divine!

I made this recipe into 6 cupcakes, but there was a little bit too much tosca topping, and the batter rose a lot on the oven, so this batch would probably be enough for 7 small cakes too. With a little too much topping on a little too high cupcakes, I experienced a little spilling of the topping while it was baking, and that’s a problem because when it cools, it hardens, and it becomes tricky to loosen the cupcakes from the cupcake pan. So, when I took the cakes out of the oven, I immediately grabbed a butter knife and tidied up the edges of each cake.

The Cake Batter:

I made 6 cupcakes with this, but I think it’d be better to make 7. Before starting with the batter, I preheated the oven to 175 degrees Celsius, and greased and floured 6 cups in my muffin tin.

Dry Mix:

• 1 and 1/2 dl wheat flour
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

Wet Mix:

• 1 dl plain, unsweetened soy milk
  • 2/3 dl plain soy yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 dl canola oil

I whisked the wet mix in a mixing bowl, then stirred together the dry mix, and combined the two with a fork until only small lumps remained. Now, I poured the batter in the 6 prepared cups in my muffin tin, and baked for about 14 minutes, until a little brown on the sides but very pale on the tops. While the cakes were baking, I prepared the topping.

The Tosca Topping:

• 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
  • 2 tablespoons plain soy milk
  • 1/2 dl sugar
  • 1 tablespoon wheat flour
  • 50 g slivered almonds

I placed everything else but the almonds in a small cooking pot, and then heated on medium heat until the mixture started to boil gently. It took about 5 minutes to reach that stage. Then I turned down the heat, let the mixture simmer for about a minute more, and then removed it from heat. I mixed in the slivered almonds, and the topping was ready.

When the cakes were done prebaking, I spread about a tablespoon of the topping over each cake, and then popped them in the uppermost rack of our oven for 12 more minutes, until the topping started to get brown. Then I took the cakes out of the oven and carefully tidied up the edges of each cup before the topping started to harden. Then I let them cool in the tin for about 20 minutes until removing.

1. Posted April 29, 2008 at 09:53 | Permalink

Another recipe for my to-do list! I should start soon…

2. Posted April 29, 2008 at 15:44 | Permalink

pretty and looks very wholesome too. i like simple things like that. yay!x

3. Posted April 29, 2008 at 20:12 | Permalink

these look light and tasty. and they have cardamom, my most recent spice obsession!

4. Posted April 30, 2008 at 01:41 | Permalink

The caramelized edges of the almonds look so good!

5. Posted April 30, 2008 at 08:22 | Permalink

Those look so much healthier than the cupcakes I just made. I’ve never heard of Tosca. Interesting!

Posted April 30, 2008 at 13:01 | Permalink

Thanks you all for taking the time to leave lovely comments!

Maggie: The caramelised almonds are GOOD! And the topping works well over baked fruit too, especially with apples or pears.

Stef: I think tosca cake is a Swedish/Finnish thing, no wonder you haven’t heard about it. I wouldn’t exactly call these healthy, but as far as cupcakes go – maybe so?

7. Posted April 30, 2008 at 13:47 | Permalink

Those cupcakes covered in slivered almonds look great!

8. Posted May 2, 2008 at 00:09 | Permalink

mmmmmmm!
    what a freak out. Those look so delicious.

I’m looking for a treat to make for my Yoga Book Club… these seem pleasantly sophisticated for a book club, don’t you think?

Posted May 2, 2008 at 11:28 | Permalink

Thanks, Amey! Perfect for a book club, I think!

Just remember not to overfill the muffin cups, I have a feeling that halfway might be just right to avoid spilling.

-Anni.

10. Posted May 5, 2008 at 17:55 | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. Those are not remotely humble looking!

11. Posted May 5, 2008 at 23:09 | Permalink

I almost invented these, but you were quicker. :) I mean, the thought of tosca cupcakes entered my mind when I thought about baking tosca buns, but they felt quite boring, because there’s not much excitement in buns. Cupcakes, on the other hand, are fancy and yummy.

I googled some tosca stuff and found my way here. I have to give this recipe a try.

12. Lauren Elysia
    Posted December 24, 2008 at 22:06 | Permalink

They are in the oven now and they smell delicious!