Orange Ginger Spice Drink

I’ve been having a spring flu lately, and this drink is what is starting to make me feel better. Heikki says that if I believe it cures me, it will, and I am a firm believer in ginger tea – I drink it when I feel down or have a back ache or feel that flu is in the air, and I always feel better afterwards. These past few days I have started to boost my ginger tea with fresh orange juice, and now I’ve almost conquered the damn virus!

And this drink is really really good, especially when sweetened with agave syrup. Some believe that sugar isn’t good for a flu, but I don’t think a teaspoon or two of agave syrup ever hurt anyone. I have a feeling that this would be a great summer drink too, only chilled and served over ice.

My Tea Recipe:

• 1/2 l water
  • 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
  • (1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated -optional)
  • 1 teaspoon whole cardamom seeds (or a few crackled pods)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • juice of one orange
  • (agave syrup to taste)

First I let the 2 tablespoons of chopped ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon simmer in the water for ten to fifteen minutes, then remove the pot from heat, and add the orange juice. I sometimes add the extra grated ginger and let the drink steep for 5 more minutes to get a fresh ginger bite as well. Then I filter it in a jug, and sweeten with some agave syrup.

I often double the recipe, and sometimes use the dried ginger root called sonti – it has an even more potent and fiery taste than the fresh root, but takes a little more effort to ground.

1. Posted April 19, 2008 at 17:45 | Permalink

I need a cup of this to get over what’s ailing me. lovely, Anni!

2. Posted April 19, 2008 at 18:02 | Permalink

Your tea looks great for a relaxing afternoon. Ginger is great! I also read last time it is considered a warming food (most veggies are cooling besides spices etc) so it balances up :)

3. Posted April 19, 2008 at 18:12 | Permalink

let the ginger do its magic and get better soon, Anni!

4. Posted April 21, 2008 at 22:39 | Permalink

i am an avid tea drinker. from japanese sencha to genmaicha to chinese dragon phoenix pearl, to my favourite Yorkshire tea and then that all time favourite Earl Grey. But I have to admit, ginger tea is one of the best out there! My teacher was the first to introduce it to me actually. great for flu and wind and what else? :) hope u get better soon. i’m sure the added orange will boost your Vit C and immune system.
    all the best fellow food blogger! x

5. Posted April 21, 2008 at 23:44 | Permalink

Looks warm and soothing and delicious. I won’t wait til I get sick to make it, that’s for sure!

Posted April 22, 2008 at 11:18 | Permalink

Thanks you all for your sweet words, I am feeling so much better now! The combination of ginger, orange, and sympathizing comments was surely what cured me!

7. Posted April 23, 2008 at 07:24 | Permalink

This looks so good…I’m adding this tea to my to-make list. :)

8. Posted October 22, 2008 at 22:05 | Permalink

this tea makes my taste buds happy :-) I always make ginger tea with lemon and honey or hibiscus, cinnamon and honey, but cardamom and orange are a tasty variety!

9. Jelena
    Posted March 14, 2009 at 19:33 | Permalink

I made this the other morning because I’ve had a terrible cold, it was delicious and made me feel so much better. Thanks!

P.S. The bowl with apple designs, is it vintage? It’s really cool, I’d love to know its name or where to get one.

Posted March 16, 2009 at 08:57 | Permalink

Jelena – I hope your cold is all gone now! The apple bowl is vintage, it’s a set of 4 bowls of different sizes but we only have two left. The stamp on the underside says “Ditmar-Urbach, Made in Czechoslovakia” and “78”, so maybe it’s from 1978.

11. Posted December 10, 2010 at 10:59 | Permalink

This is definitely true and effective, I’ve tried this once when I got cold with hot water and without sugar but reading your post, I think I have to try your recipe, I’m sure this is gonna be a very refreshing drink. Thanks for sharing this.

~Gia

2 Trackbacks

1. […] a fortuitous turn of events I stumbled across this recipe for ‘Orange Ginger Spice Drink’ via trusty ol’ TasteSpotting. It’s […]

2. By ooooooh'rangenblog on October 22, 2008 at 22:14

Noch eine Ingwertee Variation…

Jetzt, wo es kalt wird, kann man nie genug leckere Teerezepte haben, oder? Was für Tee macht Ihr am liebsten?

Die Inspiration kam von “Tofu for Two” und ist wirklich wahnsinnig lecker. Der Ingwer und die Gewürze geben der Orange richtig Pepp.