Raspberry Chocolate Pie

We love the combination of raspberries and dark chocolate, there’s something about the tart berries and bitter cocoa flavor that makes them a perfect match. The construction of this pie is quite like my mocha pie, but this is as delicious straight out of the oven as it is after chilling. Served warm with a cup of strong black coffee, this pie definitely made me feel better in the midst of all coughing and sneezing I’ve been doing lately!

Frozen berries are my choice this time of year, but fresh ones would be nice – they’re a tad sweeter too, so probably need less sugar than indicated.

The Chocolate Crust:

• 3 dl wheat flour
  • 1 dl dark cocoa powder
  • 1/2 dl sugar
  • 100 g vegan margarine, cold
  • 4 tablespoons almond milk (or other vegan milk, or water), cold

This crust is pretty easy to make; I placed the flour, cocoa, sugar, and margarine in a bowl, and mixed with a spoon until crumbly. Then I added the almond milk and mixed until the dough came together, and held together when I pinched it with my fingers.

At this point, there are two options; the crust can be chilled and rolled out with a rolling pin, like I did with the mocha pie, or it can be just pressed in the pie tray as it is. The rolling pin method takes a little longer and the result looks a little more professional, but the latter method is quick and easy, and that’s what I needed this time.

After the crust was in the pie tray, I pre-baked it for fifteen minutes in 175 degrees Celsius.

The Raspberry Filling:

• 200 g frozen raspberries
  • 300 g silken tofu (Mori-Nu for us)
  • 1/2 dl plain soy yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons potato (or corn) starch
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
  • 3-4 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 and 1/2 dl sugar

Heikki mixed the tofu with our immersion blender until it was all smooth and creamy, and then whisked in the rest of the ingredients except for the berries. Then we added the berries and stirred until the filling was pale pink in color, and then poured it in the prebaked crust.

Now we baked the pie in 175 Celsius for 15 minutes. Heikki grated some 50 grams of semi dark chocolate, and we sprinkled that on top of the pie – the chocolate melts nicely when the pie is still warm, and if there’s some pie left to store in the fridge, it forms a crunchy layer over the filling.

1. Posted April 18, 2008 at 19:09 | Permalink

Mmm, I love all your pies…
    So, if I get it right, it’s agar agar for no-bake pies, and cornstarch (or starch, whatever) for normal baked pies? It sounds good as a rule of thumb, doesn’t it?

Correct me if I’m wrong!

Posted April 18, 2008 at 20:23 | Permalink

Thanks Alice! Your rule of thumb sounds just right, that’s at least what I do with agar and starches. There are other thickening agents I guess, but those two are what I mostly use since they’re generally available around here!

3. Posted April 19, 2008 at 02:59 | Permalink

Hey,

wow that pie sounds wonderful. And looks it, too. I will try to make some of the delights from your blog as soon as I have found enough time and eaters to share :-). Might have a vegan/vegetarian Girls dinner this week – this pie would be the appropriate finish :-).

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and photos.

Greetings from New Zealand to Europe :-)

Eva

4. Posted April 19, 2008 at 13:50 | Permalink

I have already saved a lot of recipes from your blog, I should finally start to make them. As always, this looks and sounds so good!

5. Posted April 19, 2008 at 20:59 | Permalink

That does look splendid. I’ll try it out in a week or two.

6. Posted April 20, 2008 at 17:41 | Permalink

That looks super yummy, and the pictures on your blog are all really lovely!

7. Posted April 29, 2008 at 17:18 | Permalink

Ohh! Beautiful! I need to try this!

8. Ashley:)
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 04:48 | Permalink

I have been coming back here for tofu recipes, and each time they are delicious, and I’m going to make this one now:)
    A job well done<3

9. Marie
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 19:30 | Permalink

Can someone help me convert these measurments to American? (cups and teaspoons)

10. Heikki
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 13:21 | Permalink

Hi Marie, you can just let Google do the conversion, for example try googling “2 dl in cups”, “200 celsius in fahrenheit” something like that.