Spicy Stir-Steamed Broccoli with Cashews

I made this as a light lunch for myself, and it was so good that the recipe is definitely going to appear as a side dish for a larger audience. Steamed broccoli is great, and stir-steamed broccoli is even greater – it’s a quick method that gives pleasantly crispy results. Simply seasoned with nothing more than chili flakes, soy sauce, and lemon juice, this broccoli was probably the best I’ve cooked so far.

stir-steamed_broccoli.jpg

I always peel and slice the thicker stems of broccoli and use them in my cooking as well – they have a nice mild taste that reminds me of kohlrabi. I didn’t measure the soy sauce, and soy sauces also vary in how salty they are, so the amount might need a little adjusting.

• 1/2 dl cashew nuts
  • 300 g broccoli, in florets, stems peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 dl water
  • 1 teaspoon chili flakes
  • 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
  • a squeeze of lemon juice

First, I prepped the broccoli, and heated a non stick frying pan over high heat. Then I toasted the cashews for a few minutes, until they started to brown, and added the broccoli and the water in the pan. Now, I stirred the broccoli for a few minutes until the liquid had more or less evaporated, and then added the chili flakes to the pan. After a minute or so , I added the soy sauce, and stirred until most of the liquid was gone. At this point the broccoli was cooked on the outside and still crispy on the inside.

I removed the pan from heat, added a splash of lemon juice, and enjoyed my simple lunch!

1. Posted April 7, 2008 at 14:13 | Permalink

So simple! I’m sure going to enjoy this any time soon.

2. Posted April 9, 2008 at 02:34 | Permalink

Looks yummy! You two have just been tagged!

Here are the rules!
    Write five things about yourself on your blog, linking back to me. Tag five people at the end of your post, listing their names and linking to them. Then let them know they’ve been tagged by leaving them a comment on their blog.

xo
    kittee

3. Posted April 9, 2008 at 17:43 | Permalink

So simple and delicious looking. dang, i love broccoli so much! i love your blog and pictures even more.

4. Posted May 1, 2008 at 06:22 | Permalink

Broccoli is my favorite! Thanks for posting this recipe :)

5. ramesh
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 09:29 | Permalink

you didn mention about using oil to stir. am i right? am sorry..i’ve no cooking experience..just starting to learn.

Posted September 14, 2009 at 09:08 | Permalink

ramesh – I don’t use oil in this, that’s why it’s “stir-steamed” instead of “stir-fried”! The broccoli steams in the little bit of water I add in the pan. No problem, I hope this helps!

7. Posted May 18, 2010 at 18:18 | Permalink

very nice,lucy

2 Trackbacks

1. By Top 10 Cellulite Food Busters on April 8, 2014 at 18:10

[…] via tofufortwo.net […]

2. By Ramadhan on June 29, 2014 at 12:31

[…] 6. Broccoli – Hydration rating 90%. Did you know broccoli has anti-cancer nutrients? It is the most hydrating magnesium rich food and has the capacity to help reduce allergies, supplement your vitamin D deficiency and detoxify the potential toxins we encounter each day. What an amazing vegetable Allah has made. EAT IT! Steam (don’t microwave) or stir-fry for 1-2.5 minutes to avoid losing nutrients. Toss pasta with olive oil, pine nuts and steamed broccoli florets with seasoning for a healthier Iftaar meal (to break the fast).Image, recipe idea + Tofu for Two […]