Spicy Potato Rösti

Rösti is a Swiss potato pancake, and in its most simple form, a rösti recipe only has grated potatoes as an ingredient. I added a little flour to keep my rösti together and a sweet apple to counterbalance the spiciness of chili, onion, garlic, and thyme. Delicious!

rosti_big.jpg

As a side dish, this recipe makes plenty for two.

Here’s what I used:

• 6 small potatoes, peeled and grated
  • 1 red Gloster apple. peeled and grated
  • 1 small onion, peeled and grated
  • 3 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1 tablespoon potato starch
  • 1/2 dl spelt flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried, crushed red chili
  • 1/3 teaspoon (smoked) red paprika powder
  • olive oil for frying

First I grated the potatoes and rinsed them in cold water to remove some of the starch – raw potatoes can have a little bit of a bitter taste, and this takes it away. Then I dried the grated potatos by spooning them on a layer of cheesecloth, placing another layer of cheesecloth over the potatoes, and pressing them lightly. (To make it quicker and easier, I’d skip the whole rinsing part, and just omit potato starch from the recipe.)

Now, I mixed all the ingredients in a small bowl, and heated two frying pans; one of them was my pancake pan that makes small pancakes with a diameter of about 8 cm, and the other a larger pan that had a diameter of about 15 cm. I poured some olive oil in the pans, and heated them on medium heat until hot.

When the pan was hot, I added about one tablespoon of the batter in each little compartment of my pancake pan, and about 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter to the larger pan, and then flattened the piles of potato to about 1/2 cm thick.

rosti_small_frying3.jpgrosti_big_frying.jpg

I fried my rösti for about 5-6 minutes on both sides, until they were golden brown. I find that medium or medium-high heat is best for this; on high heat the potatoes quickly burn before they’re done inside, and if the heat is too low, they won’t turn brown and get crispy.

rosti_small.jpg

1. Posted March 26, 2008 at 22:31 | Permalink

Looks amazing, I grew up eating Polish potato pancakes, which we called bleenie.

Posted March 27, 2008 at 14:25 | Permalink

Thanks – that’s interesting! In Finland we eat Russian bleenies, or blini, and they’re made of buckwheat.

3. Posted March 28, 2008 at 10:06 | Permalink

These look great. I am going to give them a try tonight!

Where did you get the ‘pancake’ pan?

Posted March 28, 2008 at 10:20 | Permalink

Hi Lyndsay – these pancake pans (lettupannu in Finnish) are sold everywhere in Finland, and I got mine as a gift from friends. I’m not sure about their worldwide popularity, but probably a cookware specialty shop might stock them in other countries as well? And although I’m not a huge Ikea fan, this could be something they’d have. Happy cooking!

5. Posted March 28, 2008 at 15:29 | Permalink

Oh, looks so good, I can almost taste it..

6. Posted June 3, 2010 at 10:03 | Permalink

looks like the kind of dish id like to observe someone else making it first before tackling it myself

7. dennis chapman
    Posted June 26, 2012 at 04:23 | Permalink

here in new zealand we have “mock whitebait fritters”which contain grated potato.the recipe is 2.5 tblsp flour, 1 egg,2tblsp milk, 3tblsp grated cheddar cheese or your favorite,pepper &salt,1 medium to large potato grated, 1 tsp baking powder.the method:- beat egg,add flour,milk cheese and seasoning.add potato and baking powder just before frying.fry patties in hot shallow fat 5 minutes each side.serve hot.i like to soak grated potato on cold water for a few minutes then drain and squeeze potato in a cheese cloth to get rid of moisture.doing this gets rid of some of the starch.