Tempeh Lasagne with Cashew Cream Sauce

We both love lasagne, and this is definitively one of our favorite ways to fill those pasta sheets. Fried tempeh crumbs, basil tomato sauce, and white sauce made with cashews and nutritional yeast were a delicious combination in this creamy and hearty and remarkably satisfying lasagne.

tempeh_lasagna_portion.jpg

Our lasagne wasn’t extremely photogenic, but the side of steamed broccoli added a hint of aesthetic value – and also balanced the rich lasagne quite nicely.

Tomato Tempeh Sauce:

• 5 dl tomato sauce (passata type)
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 200 g tempeh
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste

First, we prepared the tempeh. We chopped it finely, until we had nice crumbles.

tempeh_crumbs_lasagna.jpg

Now, we heated a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan, and fried the temped crumbles for about 7 minutes, until they’d turned golden brown. Then Heikki added the soy sauce and the liquid smoke to the pan, and fried the tempeh until the liquid had evaporated, for a few more minutes.

I removed the tempeh from the pan, added a little more oil, and fried the onions until they became translucent. Now I added the dried basil, fried it for a few seconds, and then added the rest of the tomato sauce ingredients to the pan. I let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes, until the cashew sauce was ready, and then mixed in the tempeh crumbles.

Cashew Cream Sauce:

• 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
  • 1/2 dl wheat flour
  • 2 dl cashew nuts & 1 dl oat milk
  • 9 dl plain oat milk
  • 1 dl nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1 teaspoon green peppercorns, ground
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

While Heikki ground the cashews with 1 dl of oat milk to create a thick cream, I melted the margarine in a small cooking pan on medium heat. When it started to bubble, I added the wheat flour, whisking all the time, and kept on whisking and frying the flour for a few minutes. Now, I added the rest of the oat milk a little by little, whisking to get it smoothly incorporated, and brought the mixture to boil on medium-high heat, stirring all the time. After the mixture had thickened a little, I whisked in the nutritional yeast and the cashew cream, and heated for a few minutes. Now the sauce was quite thick, and I added the rest of the ingredients – salt, green peppercorns, and lemon juice.

Assembling the Lasagne:

• 250 g (half a box) spinach lasagne sheets (Pirkka brand)

We first brushed our lasagne pan with olive oil, and spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce over the bottom of the pan. We covered the sauce with 4 lasagne sheets, and spread some more tomato sauce over the pasta. Now, we spooned about one fifth of the cashew sauce over the tomato layer, and then added three more layers of pasta covered with the two sauces. We reserved a little more cashew sauce for the last layer, and spread it evenly over the whole lasagne. We ended up with 4 layers of pasta, a layer of tomato-tempeh sauce underneath, and a layer of the creamy cashew sauce upmost.

Now we baked the lasagne in 200 degrees Celsius for about 35 minutes, until the white sauce had browned nicely, and let it cool down for about 10 minutes before serving.

tempeh_lasagna.jpg

1. Posted February 29, 2008 at 16:12 | Permalink

This sounds really good. I love your recipe for the cashew sauce. =)

2. Yvonne
    Posted February 29, 2008 at 21:24 | Permalink

Hi,
    The lasagna looks delicious but: isn’t there any tomato in the tempeh tomato sauce?

3. Heikki
    Posted March 1, 2008 at 00:15 | Permalink

Oops, we forgot the tomato sauce from the list of ingredients. It’s there now. Thanks for pointing that out, Yvonne!

Romina: Yeah, this cashew sauce is our favourite to use with lasagne. =)

4. Posted March 3, 2008 at 01:13 | Permalink

I’ve never made a photogenic lasagna myself, but I think yours looks really good! And that cashew cream sauce browned on the top the way my mum’s cheese lasagna used to do! ::Scribbling down the recipe now::

5. Posted March 3, 2008 at 11:06 | Permalink

Wow, this looks unbelievably amazing! I’m totally bookmarking this piece of culinary gorgeousness. Your blog is pretty, too! I just found it and am adding it to my blogroll. :)

6. Posted March 4, 2008 at 16:39 | Permalink

All I can say is: WOW!
    This is definitely something I am going to try out. I can just imagine how flavorful and healthy it must be!
    Kamini

7. Posted March 11, 2008 at 16:28 | Permalink

This loooks sooo good! I wish I was there to sample that! :9 :9

8. Posted April 21, 2008 at 03:26 | Permalink

baaaah. fyfan va gott.

9. Blake
    Posted April 11, 2009 at 19:54 | Permalink

Wow! Great recipe. I found this when searching for tempeh recipes recently and decided to give this a try last night.

I was concerned that the taste of the cashews would be overwhelming, but the flavours melded together really well.

This was better than most lasagna resipes (meat or not) that I’ve had in the past.

10. Posted April 18, 2009 at 03:41 | Permalink

This is one of the loveliest lasagnes we’ve ever eaten – thanks for the recipe. :-)

11. Posted May 21, 2009 at 08:02 | Permalink

I make a tofu lasagna that I really like, but the top layer of tofu doesn’t brown very nicely. I”m going to try your cashew cream sauce next time. It looks perfect, and I bet it tastes rich and delicious!

12. Katrina Taylor
    Posted January 29, 2012 at 22:40 | Permalink

THANK YOU for the easy conversions on the side of the blog, huge help! :) Can’t wait to give it a try!

13. Posted March 5, 2013 at 09:20 | Permalink

Wonderful work! This is the type of info that are meant
    to be shared around the internet. Disgrace on the seek engines for no longer
    positioning this submit higher! Come on over
    and discuss with my web site . Thanks =)

14. Posted May 4, 2013 at 10:38 | Permalink

It’s going to be ending of mine day, but before finish I am reading this enormous paragraph to improve my experience.

4 Trackbacks

1. [...] so I got this recipe off of Tofu for Two. Its a great vegan blog in Finland… great except that the measurements  are all different!! [...]

2. [...] hittas här. Och vad skall man säga. Jag gillade det hyffsat, skulle väl varit liiite mer kryddor i tror jag [...]

3. By Beans and Greens » A Happy Vegan Lasagne on February 23, 2009 at 20:43

[...] Tempeh Lasange with Cashew Cream Sauce [...]

4. [...] Gotta love freezer food. I wanna get through this lasagna so I can make another batch, this time with cashew cream! [...]