Coconutty Apricot Cake with Raspberry Sauce

This cake was soft and moist and full of sweet coconut flavor, beautifully counterbalanced by the tart raspberry sauce made with only two ingredients: frozen berries and agave syrup.

coconutty_apricot_cake.jpg

This cake was especially good right after baking, steeped in the raspberry sauce, but went well on its own with a cup of tea on the next day as well.

Wet Mix:

• 4 dl coconut milk (one can)
  • 2 dl sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier liqueur

Dry Mix:

• 3 and 1/2 dl wheat flour
  • 1/2 dl potato starch
  • 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • pinch of turmeric (for color)
  • pinch of salt

Also Needed:

• 2 dl cubed apricots (from a can)
  • margarine and desiccated coconut for the cake pan

First, I preheated the oven to 175 degrees Celsius, and took the raspberries out of the freezer.

Then I poured the sugar and the coconut milk in the bowl, and let the sugar melt while I greased the cake pan and covered it with desiccated coconut.

coconutty_springform_pan.jpg

I mixed the dry mix in another bowl, cubed the apricots, and added the rest of the wet mix ingredients in the coconut milk bowl. Now, I combined the wet with the dry mix and stirred until the batter was relatively smooth, added the apricots, and poured the batter in the prepared cake pan. I baked the cake for approximately one hour, until a toothpick inserted came out clean.

Raspberry Sauce:

• 2 and 1/2 dl frozen raspberries, thawed
  • 1 tablespoon agave syrup

I pressed the raspberries through a fine sieve with the help of a table spoon until only the seeds remained in the sieve. Then I mixed in the agave syrup and refrigerated the sauce until the cake had cooled down a bit. There was just enough sauce to drown two big slices of the cake. Fresh raspberries would probably make an even more delicious sauce, but we are months away from those!

1. Posted February 20, 2008 at 19:50 | Permalink

Yummy! Whenever I hear apricots I think of summer. This looks like a great cake for surprise visitors. What would you recommend as a substitution for the Grand Marnier?

Posted February 20, 2008 at 20:12 | Permalink

Hi Mihl – I just made a batch of muffins over the weekend, and added grated orange zest to the batter. Only now did I realize how most of the taste of Grand Marnier actually comes from oranges! So I think that a little grated orange zest, and maybe a little lemon zest as well, would be a perfect substitution for the liqueur. Not too much, maybe half a teaspoon or less of each.

-Anni.

3. Posted February 21, 2008 at 16:52 | Permalink

Oh, this looks so good! I suppose any fruit can be substituted for the apricots, as the tinned apricots here are not very tasty. Or I can wait until summer (which seems like it will never come!) and use fresh apricots.
    Kamini

Posted February 21, 2008 at 20:41 | Permalink

Kamini – yes, I would actually recommend using another (fresh) fruit instead of canned apricots, that just happened to be what we had in the cupboard! They didn’t add very much flavor, just moistness, and I think apples or pears or even pineapple could be nice with coconut.

5. Shvetha
    Posted February 23, 2008 at 08:01 | Permalink

Hi Anni- I made this yesterday (sans the fruit since I had none on hand) & have only one word to describe it- WOW! The coconut milk settled to the bottom but created a lovely fudge-like layer! This recipe is definitely a keeper, thanks so much for sharing.

Posted February 23, 2008 at 15:44 | Permalink

Shvetha – I’m happy your cake turned out wonderfully, I’ll have to try making this without the fruit also. Funny that the coconut milk settled to the bottom, this didn’t happen to our cake! We did get a nice crust from the desiccated coconut that I floured the pan with though.

Coconut fudge does sound wonderful, so no harm done!

-Anni.

7. Fikcija
    Posted December 24, 2010 at 22:27 | Permalink

Hi, I just recently found this site. I’ve only been a vegetarian for half a year now, so I’m looking for new recipes everywhere and this is definitely going to be a wonderful source.
    I tried this cake today for a family gathering and it it will probably take a honorable place among my favorite deserts. Except that I don’t like raspberries, so I used cherries instead. Just wanted to say how much I (and my relatives) loved it!