Walnut Tofu Quiche

We baked this pie Sunday evening, when neither of us felt like having real dinner. I often make savory pies that are based on a puréed tofu filling, but haven’t thought about walnuts in this context before. Their deep flavor paired perfectly with the sweetness of the fried onions and the tangy lemon juice.

tofu_quiche_slice.jpg

The ingredients were improvised from what we had in the house, and we managed to use up a few items that had been sitting in the fridge since pizza night; half a bell pepper and a small chunk of Cheezly vegan cheese. I don’t think Cheezly contributed to the taste very much. The quiche was delicious, and with some more elegant garnishes could very well be served to guests as well. I had a slice for lunch the next day, as pictured above, and the flavors were even better after a night in the fridge.

Crust:

• 3 and 1/2 dl wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 dl liquid vegan margarine
  • 1 dl plain unsweetened soy milk

First, I mixed the flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Then I poured the margarine and the soy milk in the bowl, and mixed the dough with my hands until it formed a firm ball. Now, I rolled it out with a rolling pin to form a round shape a little larger than our pie tray. After Heikki had greased and floured our pie tray, I placed the crust in it and evened up the edges.

Filling:

• 2 small onions, finely diced
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil for frying
  • 2 dl walnuts
  • 350 g firm silken tofu (we had 1 package of Mori-Nu)
  • 20 g Cheezly Edam (optional)
  • 1 dl soy milk
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

First, Heikki diced and fried the onions in olive oil until they had browned a bit. Meanwhile, I placed the walnuts, the tofu, soy milk, lemon juice, and vegan cheese in a bowl, and mixed them with our immersion blender until the mixture was smooth and light brown. Now, I added the rest of the ingredients, stirred with a spoon to combine, and adjusted saltiness. Then I poured the filling in the crust.

Garnish:

• 1/2 small red bell pepper

Heikki sliced the bell pepper thinly, and I arranged the slices over the walnut filling.

Now, we baked the pie on the middle rack of the oven, in 175 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes. Then we placed the pie on the lower rack of the oven, baked an additional 10 minutes, and let it cool down for 15 minutes.

tofu_quiche_whole.jpg

1. Posted January 31, 2008 at 15:46 | Permalink

Wow. That looks really good. Your photography is great.

2. Posted January 31, 2008 at 23:49 | Permalink

lovely….as is that tea-pot!

3. Shvetha
    Posted February 1, 2008 at 09:06 | Permalink

Here for the teapot too :-) Preeetty, & so full of character!

Posted February 1, 2008 at 09:49 | Permalink

Thanks for all your sweet comments!

The teapot was a thrift shop find, Swedish ceramics from the 60s – I immediately fell in love with its naive design.

5. Posted February 4, 2008 at 21:43 | Permalink

I made a quiche following your ideas today. It turned out tasting good even though I accidentally left out the onion. But – you mentioned that it could do with more attractive garnishes. Yours looks better than mine. I used green pepper & sun dried tomatoes and the quiche does not look very attractive :-) . Did you have any good ideas for great looks here?

Posted February 5, 2008 at 11:36 | Permalink

Marikki – I’m glad to hear that the quiche turned out good even without onions! I do think that onions add a lot of flavor, so do try them if you make another pie some day.

About garnishing: I thought about using walnuts, but had already ground the ones we had. I think walnut halves are very pretty and decorative, and would go well with the red bell pepper too. Sliced black/kalamata olives look cute too, and I think the flavor would go well with the seasonings.

Also, fresh herbs sprinkled over the quiche before serving would surely look nice – parsley, even cilantro, or basil leaves?

7. Posted February 7, 2008 at 15:29 | Permalink

I was away from your blog for a few days, and see how much I missed! I have been spending a very happy morning catching up. This one does look like a very special dish you could serve for your guests!
    Kamini

8. Posted May 26, 2015 at 10:30 | Permalink

This sounds lovely. Going to give this a go. thanks for sharing this recipe.

Simon