The yogurt sauce is an Arab dish, Yogurt Ginger Appetizer (Laban ma’ Zanjabeel) from Habeeb Salloum’s Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa. We only made minor modifications to his recipe and halved it to serve two people instead of four, and the dish came out very very good. Almonds add a nice richness to the soy yogurt. Pictured here is also a simple tomato relish I improvised for the same dinner. We served these as accompaniments to chickpea kababs and bulgur pilaf, also from Habeeb Salloum’s cookbook.
- 1,2 dl plain soy yogurt
- 4 tablespoons finely ground almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Tomato Mint Relish:
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely cubed
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (or other hot chili sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
I thoroughly combined the ingredients for each dish and served immediately.